Towing & Hauling

Do I need a hitch?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 12:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do I need a hitch?

Hey everybody...

Just bought a 2004 Supercab STX (4x2), and I would like to use it to tow a small pontoon boat (approx. 3000 lbs. trailer and boat).

Do I need to buy and install a hitch? Or can I use the bumper to tow? Thanks for your help...

Old 02-22-2004, 06:54 PM
What does the wt# say on bumper for towing? If it says 5000# then you should be ok. Meaning if what your towing does weigh 3K, then your 2K # under. JMO!

Good luck...OT

btw...if that dosent feel right for you, then install a frame mounted receiver hitch/w-ball mount.

Old 02-22-2004, 07:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One thing about a receiver is that the insert can have a drop or rise so that the trailer is running at the proper aspect. If it is running tail low, then the tongue weight will be too light, which can cause problems. For sure if you have the receiver then you are set up properly. Also, you may want to look into a transmission oil cooler..

Old 02-22-2004, 07:13 PM
For pulling 3000 lbs, get a Class III receiver hitch. Not a lot of money for a lot of piece of mind. The height adjustability of the hitch insert is also nice in maintaining proper towing height for your trailer(s) which is important.

-Mike-

Old 02-24-2004, 06:48 AM
Get a hitch. You'll be glad you did.
Since you truck didn't come with the factory towing package, do not exceed the towing or tongue weight limits stated on the bumper even though you installed a proper hitch. Without the towing package the truck is not set up to tow the max capacity.
It's very important to make sure the trailer is riding level. If the trailer tongue is too high it places more weight on the trailer axle causing it to sway. Too low an it places too much weight on the hitch causing steering and driveability problems. A level ride is even more important if the trailer has tandem axles. Running nose high places more weight (overload) on the trailers rear axle and can cause the axle bearings, tires, or springs to fail.

Happy towing.

Old 02-24-2004, 11:52 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One other thing in addition to all of the other great advice above. Going with a frame hitch gives another big advantage over screwing a ball into the hole on your bumper. You'll never "notch" your bumper with the frame hitch. With the bumper ball, turning hard in either dorection can cause your trailer to hit your bumper and "notch" it. The draw bar on a receiver hitch gets you far enough out to avoid this problem - unless you really get stupid. Good luck!

Old 03-07-2004, 01:08 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I say just go with the ball on the bumper as your under the 5k rating with what you tow.

Trending Topics

Old 03-13-2004, 06:34 PM
Definitely go with a receiver hitch. It gives you more versatility. Probably one of the best investments you can buy. Your bumper will always be the same height no matter what trailer you happen to be pulling. A receive hitch gives you the option of using a different insert with the proper drop or rise if you ever change trailers or need to pull a different one. I bought mine for just under $100. You don't always need a name brand. Just look for good quality and one that fits without having to drill any more holes in the frame.

Quick Reply: Do I need a hitch?