Towing & Hauling

Hauling With A F150

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 01:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Hauling With A F150

Hi,
I just used my 1994, F-250, 2X4, 460V8 with 135,000 miles towards the purchase of a 1994, F-150, 4X4, 302V8 with 52,000 miles. I haul a 2 horse stock trailer..2,500 lbs. plus the weight of the horses 2600 pounds, total about 5,100 pounds. The F-150 does not have a tranny cooler. I would like to get one installed. The hitch is good for 6,000 pounds.
I haul maybe 20-25 times per year within a 2-3 hour drive. Some hills some flat. I have friends telling me I have bought too light a truck for this. A few people tell me I "should" be OK. I do have electric brakes on the trailer. Does anyone have experience hauling with a similar truck?
Thank you,
First Mule

Last edited by First Mule; 02-24-2004 at 01:11 PM.
Old 02-24-2004, 02:09 PM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your truck is fine. Just get a tranny cooler. A weight distributing hitch would be beneficial too.

Old 02-24-2004, 05:15 PM
I will look into the hitch weight distrubution divice.
Thanks,
First Mule

Old 02-25-2004, 03:53 PM
Put my mule and horse in trailer and tested it with the truck today.When the trailer is loaded the rear bumper of the truck has only 6-8" of ground clearance. Is that ok???
Would air shocks help??
First Mule

Old 02-25-2004, 07:04 PM
APT
Probalby too much tounge weight, but there probalby isn't much you can do. Tell the horses to move back a little.

Anyway, A better measurement is to find the differenece between the top of the tailgate hooked up and loaded vs no trailer.

Shocks don't support the vehicle weight, springs do. For a 10 year old truck, it is worth replacing the leaf springs in the back. If you plan to tow that trailer often, some higher rates springs are a good idea.

Old 02-26-2004, 10:22 AM
Hi,
I just called the auto dealership and told them they sold me a vehicle saying it could do the job I was buying it for and that when I hooked up the trailer the bumper came to about 6-7" above the road! They said it can haul 6,000 lbs. according to the manufacturer. I told them my mechanic said it all depends how the weight is distributed. My mechanic said since I have a 1,500 pound draft mule ahead of the axle on my 2 horse slant trailer most of the weight is carried on the rear of the truck. He said I need air bag suspension on the truck. My mechanic doubts that the truck was made with heavy duty parts. He said there are options when buying a new F-150 that you can order. My mechanic said he'd go with the suspension before the sway bars and equilizer bars. He said I may need both but start with building up the rear end of the truck. I told the auto dealer that I trusted their expertice as professionals to put me in a truck that would haul my horse trailer. He told me he did not know how my horse trailer was built. He said what do you want us to do? I said I will take my old truck back and give you your truck. He said my truck had gone to auction and is sold that is not an option. I said then I want this truck prepared to haul my horse trailer with the heavy duty suspension and tranny cooler. He is calling me back this afternoon after he speaks with the dealerships mechanic. I have a call into an attorney to see what my options are.
First Mule

Last edited by First Mule; 02-26-2004 at 10:45 AM.
Old 02-26-2004, 12:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Like APT says, it's not how much weight, but where it's distributed. Sounds like your trailer has most of the weight forward and that's what's causing your problem. If you look at the tow ratings for any truck, they will qualify the weight by saying it needs to be "evenly distributed." You're at the upper end of what any 1/2 ton truck wil tow and that makes it even more critical that it be distributed properly.

To give you an idea how much proper distribution means, a couple of years ago I towed a 35' Fountain powerboat on a (properly built) double axle trailer - meaning with proper weight distribution. We're talking a total weight of right around 10,000 lbs. My truck at the time was a regular cab, short box 4x4 F-150 with the 5.4, automatic and Class III traler package. It did just fine and didn't squat at the rear. Hope that helps!

Trending Topics

Old 02-26-2004, 12:40 PM
APT
Some new (heavier duty) leaf springs in the back will be cheaper and quicker than trying to get your old truck back or the dealer to do anything about it. Your mechanic should be able to find some new ones and install them for under $200. Springs with electric brakes on the trailer will be find for a 4x4 F-150.

Old 02-26-2004, 10:34 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Question

For the cost of 15 minutes worth of lawyers time, you can get some overload springs and they will allow you to have some actual payload...... I'd get some new leaf springs anyway as well.

Then you'll need to get a weight distribution setup. If you just plunk the trailer on the hitch and go, that's only a CLASS 3 setup. Most hitches are only rated for #500 tongue weight and #5000 total weight for that class.. The same exact hitch with a WD setup makes it a CLASS 4 which means you can have a #1000 tongue weight and #10000 total weight.......

The WD transfers a lot of the tongue weight to the front axle and some back onto the trailer.

Got to get the correct setup before you start blaming eveyone else for your decisions....... Why would you trade in an F250 for an F150 and think it'll handle a trailer the same way?? Sure, the sales guy will tell you it'll handle your trailer.... It's only #5100...... That's well within the towing limits of an F150....... You just have to know that 1/2 ton suspension sucks in the first place, and is going to be even more weak being 10 years old!

Heck, my truck sank to it's stops when I put in a #1000 load of bricks in the back....... Pissed me off too..... I got some Hellwig LP-2500 overloads and now it'll only drop 2" when I put the same load in the back!

I tow a #4500 travel trailer and when I drop it on the hitch, it only drops about an inch. Put the WD bars on and it's back up to it's unloaded height and I've only got #550 tongue weight!

A basic WD setup will cost you about $250 or so too. Might be able to pick up a used setup for less then $100, but it's used......

Good luck!

Old 02-27-2004, 06:59 AM
First Mule;

If your rear bumper is hanging that low, it indicates too much tongue weight. You could mask this problem by putting in helper springs but it covers up the problem without preventing the potential failures that could result from it. These problems are;

1) That much tongue weight is probably putting you over your rear GAWR or Gross Axle Weight Rating. The GAWR is a legally binding limit and exceeding it could get you a fine. You could also suffer a premature axle failure.

2) That much tongue weight is probably exceeding the tongue weight limit of your hitch. Although the trailer that you are towing is less than the trailer weight limit of your hitch, you also have to make sure that the tongue weight is within spec and for most receiver hitches, that is about 10% of the trailer weight limit.

It sounds to me like you need to move the axle of your trailer forward, or move the load back to get the balance correct.

GlennMc.

Old 02-27-2004, 10:33 AM
Thank you all for the input it is a learning experience.
I have hauled 2 horse trailers with F-150's before and never had the rear squat.
Through my husbands company we have an attorny coverage plan so there is no added expense there.
I traded the F-250 in towards this truck because it had 135,000 miles. Burning oil. Tranny probs even though I had it rebuilt 1.5 yrs. ago. Needed a bell housing..etc. Plus I am now hauling a 2 horse trailer and 2 equines VS. the 4 horse and 3/4 equines that is why I had the F-250. The F-250 was making me gas poor as it is my only transportation.
I haul once a week a 60 mile round trip and during show season...summer 1 to 2 x per week within a couple hours.
I cannot bring my load back further in the trailer because the biggest compartment is in the front where my largest animal fits.
First Mule

Old 02-27-2004, 03:53 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile

Valid reasons for the change in trucks. I just don't think you'll ever be able to handle your horse trailer in the same manner with the 150....... With the 302 alone, you've given up tons of HP and torque compared to the 460.... Sure, the ol 460 was not even running all that well, but I'll bet it still had more power.

52,000 miles on a 10 year old truck might sound good, but it also means it's done a lot of sitting around or maybe all short trip driving. Either of which are not the best things for an engine.

Unless you have all the sales guys statements in writing that says the 150 would do the job, I don't know how much you'll be able to do about it..... All he has to say is he didn't say that or I didn't mean it that way..... blah, blah, blah......

When I was shopping for my travel trailer, you should have seen some of the units those guys were trying to steer me to.... Most were 30' and had GVWR of #7500 and more.... All the while saying "your truck can tow this NO PROBLEM". I hear about it on car lots too. People looking for a new truck and have such and such trailer and the car guys saying, "NO PROBLEM"..... Once either is off the lot it's your problem now!!

Good luck!

Old 02-27-2004, 05:34 PM
Wonderful news! The dealership called back and are going to satisfy me after all with better rear suspension and a tranny cooler, no additional cost to me. My mechanic has part of the equilizer hitch he will give me. I am pleased and hope my truck works out. Thank you all for the input I have learned much!
First Mule

Old 03-02-2004, 10:26 AM
APT
Wow, that is great news. Let us know how the truck does after it gets "fixed" up.

Quick Reply: Hauling With A F150