Towing & Hauling

Different fluids for towing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 02:58 PM
jzr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Different fluids for towing?

Apologies if this has been asked many times before...

Over the next few months I'll be towing a ~4500 lb. load to a bunch of destinations in the west. I anticipate doing 5 or 6 thousand miles of towing by the middle of April, over sometime hilly terrain, like the grapevine north of LA.

I'm taking the truck in tomorrow for the first oil change since I bought it. I've already got some Mobil 1 for the motor, and I'm wondering if getting synthetic fluids for the tranny and/or diff is a worthwhile idea. If so, which products have you had good luck with?

Even if it only nets a .5mpg increase it's worth it financially, not to mention the peace of mind that things aren't overheating or getting worn to death. I don't want to install a tranny temp gauge because I'll always be looking at it and stressing out.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Old 02-25-2004, 09:22 AM
I run Mobil 1 in the engine and Mobil Synthetic ATF in the auto trans. When I changed it over I drained the torque converter too. Whole change took 14 qts. to refill. I've put 40,000+ miles on it with towing a 4500 lb boat/trailer almost every weekend. Living in Florida I don't encounter any hills, maybe a real steep launching ramp, so I can't say how it performs in that respect.
All I can say is I haven't had any trouble so far.

Old 03-03-2004, 08:27 PM
I used Royal Purple when I had my 01. Not sure if these truck come with synthetics in the transmission from the factory but it is definitely good to use if you’re going to do a complete flush on your transmission which includes draining the torque converter.

Just make sure you use the right transmission fluid for your particular truck.

As far as the rear-end that DOES come from the factory with synthetic fluid so that is what you will need to put in there. Should be 75-140 and again I used Royal Purple for that as well. Remember to add 4 oz of the friction modifier from Ford, “regardless” what Royal Purple or any other brand tells you about already having the friction modifier in it. ALWAYS add the Ford friction modifier…

In case you didn’t know only Limited Slip rear-ends need the friction modifier added to them which is the rear-end you list in your signature.

Quick Reply: Different fluids for towing?