Towing & Hauling

Ballmount and Ball Choices

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 09:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ballmount and Ball Choices

Too many choices...<g>

I see a lot of ballmounts and ***** listed at most of the places online, such as eTrailer.com. I occaisionally tow a tandem axle trailer with a top "spinner" to retract the front post. So a "longer" ballmount is needed to be able to open the tailgate on my 2001 SCrew 4x4 without hitting the handle assembly.

Looks like I need a 2-inch drop model, based on the measurements that I've taken. I see longer lengths from 8 to 14 inches, with steel, stainless, and forged ballmounts. I've "borrowed" a level ballmount, which I can use for very short trips, but I need a new one...just need to know what to look for.

What is the optimum "length" and type of ballmount and ball that you would recommend? Any preferences on the ballmount locks that are available?

Thanks!

Terry

Old 03-08-2004, 07:39 AM
Be careful about pulling with an extended hitch. Yes, it will be nice to be able to drop the gate while hitched but you're gonna hate the way the trailer tows. By extnding the hitch length you are in effect adding to the arm (read leverage) that the trailer has to sway the back of your truck.

Old 03-08-2004, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by rksylves
Be careful about pulling with an extended hitch. Yes, it will be nice to be able to drop the gate while hitched but you're gonna hate the way the trailer tows. By extnding the hitch length you are in effect adding to the arm (read leverage) that the trailer has to sway the back of your truck.
Not necessarily true.

I have a '99 4X2 Supercab and pull a 17' travel trailer with a single axle. The TT weighs about 2500 pounds wet and has the A-frame jack bolted through the coupler. To solve the "tailgate down" issue, I bought a Reese ball mount #21241, 13" long. I do not use any weight distribution or anti-sway devices. The trailer tows very steady and smooth with the longer mount.

Do yourself a BIG favor, though, and buy an adjustable ball mount. You'll never have to buy another ball mount again. Last count, I had five in the garage and one on the truck all the time.

EAZ-LIFT makes them in 14", 16", and 18" lengths. All are rated at 500/5000.

I have no recommendation on a ball except that it should have a 1" shank and it needs to be torqued correctly; 250 foot pounds, I think.

I don' t use a ball mount lock.

Last edited by Jimb; 03-08-2004 at 12:27 PM.
Old 03-08-2004, 09:14 PM
I'll find out tomorrow night how long the one I used is...looked like 8 or 9 inches.

When you say adjustable ballmount, are you referring to the drop/rise or the length? I'll check out the link...thanks!

I've seen ballmounts rated for 500/5,000, 600/6,000, and 1000/10,000...in steel, stainless, and forged steel. I'm not sure of the actual "loaded" weight of the tandem trailer...need to put it on the scales next time we travel out of town to find out.

Great photo...shows precisely what I'm trying to accomplish.

Terry

Old 03-09-2004, 08:07 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have an adjustable height mount and love it. Something like this one. I also have a Convert A Ball that I love. With the flexibility of both, I can tow anything now. I have two trailers right now that have two different ball sizes and two heights required. My brother has 3 trailers that I have borrwed as well as my father in law who has a nice enclosed cargo trailer. I can quickly and easily switch to tow them all without carrying a lot of extra stuff.

Quick Reply: Ballmount and Ball Choices