Towing & Hauling

Will my truck haul it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 08:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will my truck haul it?

Hi all,
I'm a newbie here and have owned since new, a '95 4x4 extended cab Eddie Bauer F-150.
I've added a set of Gibson headers and a Gibson cat back exhaust system, an air raider intake spacer, a K&N cone air filter, and replaced the crank driven fan with an electric fan.
My truck has a 5.0L engine, auto tranny, 3.31 ratio regular axle, trailer towing pkg, offroad pkg (skid plates & handling pkg), heavy duty rear suspension pkg.
Now to my question.....I've recently ordered a 28.3' 5th wheel that weighs in at 7700lbs dry. Just wondering if anyone has experienced pulling something this heavy with their truck, I realize my truck's rated pull is 6250lbs, but my truck has a tad more power than it did when it came from the factory.
I'm currently doing my due diligence on a replacement truck now, just in case I'm not satisfied with the towing results as well as this inner gut feeling about being over the safety margin.
I'm looking at either a new F250 6.0 diesel, or a new Dodge with the 5.9 Cummins (sorry 'bout that!)
If anyone could share their experience, I'd be thankful.
Regards,
Gary.

Old 03-10-2004, 11:55 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is way over the ratings for your truck. 7700 pounds dry = about 9500-10,000 pounds wet and loaded up with travel gear. Power is not the limiting factory when manufactuers give their vehicles the tow ratings. Suspension, brakes, frame all play key rolls in determining the rating. In general, most people feel comfortable towing around 75-80% of the rated to limits. In your case, about 5000 is the most I recommend for any kind of regular towing. I would not plan to use your truck to do anything but move this trailer around your yard.

Old 03-10-2004, 12:13 PM
Yow! 7700# with your truck is too much even with the power mods. To paraphrase the previous post, you’re only as strong as your weakest link. More power isn’t going to do any good if the rear end or suspension can’t cope with it.

When looking around for another truck, watch out for the early PSD 6.0. It’s been known to have some issues. Ford’s already had to buy back something like 500 of them from unsatisfied owners.

Old 03-10-2004, 02:59 PM
Thanks for your replies, guess I'm in the market for a new truck!
I'm aware of the PSD problems that were "resolved". I believe I read somewhere (maybe here), not to buy a 6.0 PSD that was made before March of 2003. Something to do with the crankshaft positioning sensor I think.

Thanks again,
Regards,
Gary

Old 03-10-2004, 06:32 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile

Also remember that 5th wheels carry about 20-25% of their total trailer weight as the pin weight. That's what goes in the bed and directly on the trucks suspesion.

While the F250 or 2500 you have in mind will pull it fine, you'll probably be getting close to it's GVWR of #8800. Figure you'll have around a #2000 pin weight when it's all loaded up......

You might want to see about the F350 or 3500 series. They have a #9900 GVWR. Gives you an extra #1100 right off the bat. Those diesels are hhhheeeeaaavvvyyyy........ They burn up a lot of GVW in the 250 series IMO..... I don't think they cost all that much more then the 250 series either. I want to say about a grand difference........

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Will my truck haul it?