Towing & Hauling

Brake Control Hook up

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2004, 07:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake Control Hook up

Alrighty then, it looks as though I will be purchasing a camper in the very near future, and my F150 is gonna be the tow vehicle of choice.
I have ordered the Prodigy brake control unit from camper world, should be here in 5-7 days. The next question is, in explicit terms, how do I hook this thing up. I know it will come with instructions, but any insight you may have into unforseen or mentioned problems would be great.
Truck is '02 F150, 5.4, auto, tow package, etc.

Thanks very much in advance.

Old 03-12-2004, 09:43 AM
If you can canx your order, I think that you will find the controller cheaper at this site, http://www.rjays.com/Tekonsha/prodigy-01.htm $106.99 shipping included. Also the easiest way to hook it up is to buy a prewired cable,that conects under your dash by the steering wheel, $8.99 at the same site.

Old 03-12-2004, 11:39 AM
Controller hook-up is a piece-o-cake.

Check the Tekonsha's website; instructions are online.

Here's my Envoy installed near the under-dash harness.
If you bought the truck new, you should have the controller pigtail that came with the towing package.

Last edited by Jimb; 03-12-2004 at 11:49 AM.
Old 03-12-2004, 12:39 PM
suvdrvr: thanks for the info but i usually only mail order from large reputable places.

jimb: yep, got the truck new and have the harness, wondering about the wiring to the fuse box and what not though?

looks like a nice install you got there.

Old 03-12-2004, 01:45 PM
No additional fuse box wiring is needed.

I'm not familiar with Prodigy, but the pigtail may have an extra wire for controller illumination. I didn't need this circuit.

You may also need to plug in a couple relays under the hood if the dealer did not.
One is for the trailer battery charge and the other is for trailer backup lights.

Last edited by Jimb; 03-12-2004 at 01:48 PM.
Old 03-18-2004, 07:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Heres another location area to think about. I`ve done 3 trucks (mine, fathers, buddies) this way and never had to put a single hole in the truck. We just made a simple bracket with a small bend on the one end and put two holes in it. It mounts to the screws already in the truck that holds the dash bracket on the bottom edge. Its out of the way and still easy to reach for adjustment and manual brake control. Best part is no additional holes in dash if we ever remove them and its at the required angle. Here is the install in my fathers for reference. We used the other mount instead of the pocket mount like in mine but they still mounted the same:

This shows the brackets we made for them and a little how they mount

Old 03-19-2004, 08:21 AM
very cool idea with the mount. that was actually one of my worries was extra holes for brake controller, when i sell it people think it's been abused because of towing.

Quick Reply: Brake Control Hook up