Towing & Hauling

Wow. I think...(long but worth it)

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 02:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Wow. I think...(long but worth it)

Well, I have been hesitant to post this, because it is so long, but I do feel I have to tell you about my towing experience. It seems most of the posts on here say the f150 cant do what it is rated for...

On Fathers day I bought a new fifth wheel. Its an 04 Cougar 276, made by Keystone. The total weight is 6580lbs, dry, and tongue weight is 1200lbs. I have towed it 2 times once about 50 miles one way, and then once more almost 560 miles round trip... and you know, I was actually quite impressed. Overall my truck did very well...

The first trip was picking it up from the dealer, who also installed my brake controller, and hitch. The first thing I noticed was that when it was all hooked up, that the truck was actually almost level, not sagging tremendously under all the weight. My truck weighs about 4400 lbs, plus me and the tongue weight, add 1400 for a total of 5800lbs...

So I say my prayers pull out of the RV dealer and shortly, hit the freeway onramp going about 20mph. Of course, there is a steep grade for about 1/4mile going over the Sacramento River, and I decide to go for it. I was going over 55 mph by the top, which I thought was pretty darn good. I headed over to my buddies house to show him my new toy, then headed home, mostly flat freeway (I-80) between Sac and Vacaville. I took it easy, didnt go over sixty, and overall it wasnt a bad ride, but It was bumpy in a few areas. The trailer brakes worked very well, and I actually lowered the sensitivty from 3.5 to 2.5, (scale of 1 to 10). That way it felt more smooth and I still had good braking. It was downshifting a little too much out of OD, on hilly areas, but all in all not too bad.

Since the ride was a little bumpy, and I was still a little uncertain about the leaf springs, I decided to get Air ride air bags for the rear. That turned out to be a very good decision, and really made for a comfortable ride on my next trip. Now instead of being a little shy of level, I could raise the rear about 1" to 2", and be level or a little higher, not to mention a smoother ride. I also decided to go to a lower gear, from 3.55ls to 4.11ls, this gives me about 3000 rpm more at 65mph. I was also wanting to make sure my tranny was going to be ok, so I put a fan and 180 degree thermostat on the stock tranny cooler.

A few weeks later was the big test. Actually 280 miles mostly on I-5, each direction! The temp was over 90 almost the entire trip, the airbags were inflated to about 60psi each, the tranny cooler fan (derale) never came on, and the 4.11 gear setup was perfect. In the hilly areas I would drop down out of OD, and it would pull just fine. O/C gas mileage went way downfrom normal. I averaged around 10mpg, which is exactly what I thought I would do. All in all it was a good trip, and I think the truck proved it was as solid as it could be.

I DO have a fair amount of mods, and I am sure that they helped me tremendously. I should have close to 300 HP, with the FIPK, chip and Magnaflow, up from 260, and I am sure more torque. I also have ceramic brake pads up front, and new tires.

My max towing is 8300lbs with 3.55 gears, but that goes up with the gear change. 3.73 is 8700lbs according to my owners guide, and the max gross combined is 13,000lbs, 13,500 with a 3.73 rear end. Since I have the 4.11, its not on the chart. At any rate, I am under all of the ratings, Max payload 1800lbs, Max fifth wheel weight 8700 lbs, and combined weight 13,500.

I will only tow about once a month, if that, and my average trip will be less than 150 miles round trip. I think this is going to be good enough for short term, and I would love to get an 05 SD. But with the prices of those and my truck is paid for, I will probably wait until the end of 05.

Well there it is. IMO, this truck is awesome, with a few mods of course.

Last edited by Slickford; 08-02-2004 at 03:09 AM.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:45 AM
If you're not already there, g'won over to rv.net/forum and post about your adventures!!! I am there as Wabbiteer...

I'd use airbag leveling to force trailer frame into absolute parallel to highway as truck and trailer cargo weights change over time - the hitch setup height counts most on that i guess.

Which 5'r hitch did you decide on? I've found the 16k auto-slider for $1400 but can't commit just yet, the old chicken or egg first 'need right deal on trailer' to buy hitch but won't commit to trailer before test towing but no hitch, no test. No worries, it's just money, right?

My '99 F150 3.73 LS rear isn't in the specifications for shortbed & standard cab, was ordered by dealer for senior salesman so it's a hidden option available on crew cabs only in '99. Every other configuration maxes at 12,700 GCVWR so I only count the 'inferred' GCVWR boost as safety margin not as usable capacity.

Good luck on the road >: )

Old 08-25-2004, 07:38 PM
Cool

What did it cost you to get the 4.11's installed.

Old 08-27-2004, 01:03 AM
The gears won't improve your towing capacity, only performance.

The tires, springs, shocks, brakes, axles and vehicle weight will give in long before that.

Once you get the SD you'll wonder why you ever bothered dropping money in to the 150.

Old 08-27-2004, 02:10 PM
Hello to all and thanks for the replies.

Wabbiteer, I am on rv.net/forum as 'tgreg'. (newby)
I have the Husky 16k autoslider hitch. It is actuallly a fine setup, and very easy to use, but it is my first one, so I dont have alot of experience with other hitches. I just followed the recomendations of the RV dealer.

Bandjo, The gear change cost $506 complete at West Coast Differentials in Rancho Cordova, CA

Spaceman is correct about the gears helping the performance,when I am not towing, this truck is down right fast. It is fun to blow away those little rice rockets from time to time and see the looks on those young punks faces!

Actually, according to my owners manual, with 3.73, the towing capacity goes up 400lbs...and GCWR goes up 500 lbs. but in all honesty that is splitting hairs, and that is NOT why I did the gear change. (I was under all the max capacities already, even when loaded.) I did it because of the 'fishing' between OD and 3rd. It did actually help alot, it no longer downshifts on flat non-windy roads, and I do believe it helps the gas mileage because of that. (When towing)

I also upgraded the brake pads, and the brakes are very strong, No problems there. The tires are rated at 2300lbs each at the max psi cold. Thats way more than the 6300lbs GVWR which I am not over. As for the axle, the jury is still out, but since I am still under the GVWR, GCWR, and max payload, I can only trust the specs.

I now for a fact I will love the new superduty, but like I said, my truck is a 2000, ONLY 37000 miles on it, and its paid for. Not having that payment means money in the bank for 05 SD !!! I really cant wait. But I like my truck... I will probably just keep it and have two! Is that being greedy?

Old 08-27-2004, 06:54 PM
Cool Gas Mileage Empty

Hey Slickford,
What a great looking rig! I know your thoughts about your paid-off 2000 model. My 1998 is paid for and only has 69K on it. Runs like a champ! Even the smog technician was amazed at how clean it ran on my last smog test. This is a California State requirement for those of you in other states. Every 2 years or at time of transfer or sale, our vehicles get smog tested.
What type of gas mileage does your 5.4 get with 4.11 gears when it is running unloaded. City vs. Highway?
I have a 4.6L with 3.55LS and auto. Only mods are K&N filter and a "Cat-Back" exhaust system. My truck is very well maintained.
My top MPG on HWY and empty was about 16.7 mpg. Towing my 2000# Watercraft trailer is about 12 to 13 MPG with A/C on.
Just curious how much difference the engine and rear-end comb make.
Take care.

Old 08-31-2004, 01:06 AM
Hey redford,

2 years ago I took my truck to Vegas and back, 1100 plus miles roundtrip, and got 20 mpg.... Before the gear change.

I just went to Buttonwillow Raceway over the weekend, off I-5 near Bakersfield, and got about 17mpg. (600 miles RT) However, I was on it pretty hard on the way home Sunday night, at least 80mph and A/C most of the way. That is loaded with only me and a passenger, and our overnight gear. Tach was between 2500-2700 rpm in OD.

I do have to say that my mileage was pretty good before the change, and after.

Towing is another story. Of course I am towing a 7600lb fifth wheel (loaded) with an F150.

My performance mods(listed below) are similar to yours, just add the old style superchip. I am going to get the new programmer soon, for the speedo correction, and the towing program.

Quick Reply: Wow. I think...(long but worth it)