Towing & Hauling

Another LT Tire Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2004, 11:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another LT Tire Question

Bought a new TT 2 weeks ago and it was missing the spare tire. Dealer ordered new spare and I picked it up yesterday. Took a look after I got home and it's a ST205/75D15. Isn't this tire a Bias ply? I have ST205/75R15's on it now and they specifically say not to mix and match Bias and Radial. Just want to make sure this is a screwup before I give them a call.

Old 08-30-2004, 12:53 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It's true that you don't want to mix bias and radial tires on the same axle..... The tire size you indicate would suggest that it's not a radial, as there should be the "R" someplace in the size description....

Take a closer look at all the markings on the tire and there should be a reference to either "radial" or "bias ply" someplace else on it....

From all my research into buying a travel trailer, I found that spare tires on not ususally "standard" equipment, unless it's a very "high end" unit. My trailer came with a spare, but it was listed under the "options" section of the invoice.

If it is indeed a bias ply, then you should get a radial.... The bias tire would work in a pinch, but you probably would not want to travel too far on it. Might make the handling of the trailer different or could cause some unusual wear on the rest of the suspension setup??

Good luck!

Mitch

Old 08-30-2004, 09:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks MitchF150. I did call the service manager today and he confirmed what I suspected and you verified. The "D" does indicate a non-radial (bias ply) and he said he would get the radial to match the tires on the trailer. He also said to use that spare only in an emergency.

I was preparing for a battle and he immediately agreed they gave me the wrong kind of tire. Great customer service from them so far

Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Another LT Tire Question