Towing & Hauling

new ceramic pads...good or bad to tow trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 10:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new ceramic pads...good or bad to tow trailer?

Hi, I need to replace the pads all the way around on my 2001 Supercrew. I use my truck to tow a lightweight 21' toy hauler, which it does quite well.

I want to go with ceramic pads, but I found a posting on here saying NOT to use ceramic if the truck is used for towing.

I have the OEM rotors. I was hoping the ceramics would put out less dust.

Does anyone have any thoughts or advice for me?

Thanks,
Gary (sooze's husband actually!)

Old 08-31-2004, 11:50 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I saw the post about not using ceramics when towing too, but I have them on my truck and I tow. I've got Bendix Ceramics with Brembo rotors (from Tire Rack) all the way around mine and I love them. They stop much better than the OEM stuff and there's virtually no dust. I regularly tow a 22' high performance boat that weighs (with the trailer) about 2,800 lbs with no problems. I've towed up to around 5,500 lbs - also with no problems - yet.

Old 08-31-2004, 06:36 PM
Thanks for the reply 2stroked.

Gary

Old 09-01-2004, 07:25 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ceramic pads hold heat longer. They only problem is that the rotors need to be designed to handle that. OEM rotors aren't and warp quickly.

I had ceramic pads on my 99 F-150 and loved them. Rarely towed a lot of weight (<3000 pounds). Sold that truck to my FIL who tows a loaded up 7x14 enclosed utility trailer and he's never had a problem.

Old 09-08-2004, 07:06 PM
Thumbs up

I had the ceramic pads put on right beofre the summer and what a world of difference. Alot less dust and better stopping power...especially when towing.

Old 09-22-2004, 09:15 AM
2stroked,

What kind of 22' boat do you have that only weighs 2800 lbs. with trailer. The trailer alone on my 23' weighs 1260, I had to have the trailer weighed by itself for registration purposes here in Ohio so that's how I know that number. The whole set-up ready to go (equip., fuel, etc.) weighs 6100 lbs. I was curious one day so I took it to the scales and had it weighed. Even the 18' Four Winns I had was slightly over 3000 lbs.. If your numbers are correct that boat must be real fast.

jetter

Old 09-23-2004, 01:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jetter,

The boat is a 22' Progression - made in Long Island. Basically, it's a race boat without the numbers on it. It has all of the light weight / high strength construction techniques used to make race boats so fast. The big thing that makes it so light is a post layup technique called vacuum bagging which removes excess resin in the mold. The boat comes with a 10 year hull warranty - even if you race it. Mine's 13 years old and still looks like new. With my 240 HP Mercury outboard on it, it runs in the mid 70's on GPS. Last night I had it out in 2 footers with my sister on board. We were running 68-70 MPH right across the tops. She may have stopped giggling by today. Hope that answers your question.

Quick Reply: new ceramic pads...good or bad to tow trailer?