Towing & Hauling

Ideas for a Toy Hauler

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2004, 02:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ideas for a Toy Hauler

Looking for some ideas for a Toy Hauler.

Will be pulled by a 03 4x2 screw 4.6.

Toy to be loaded is BMW k1200lt, about 750lbs as it sits, and on occasion a 2nd bike.

Need to sleep 4 adults max.

Any ideas?

Old 09-01-2004, 02:28 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Toy haulers are HEAVVVVVYYYYYY..... They need to have a 'ton' of tongue weight to offset whatever you put in the back...... The water and gas tanks are located up front and you will need to have them filled to some degree to get that extra weight. Tongue weights under #800 would be considered 'light' IMO.....

Your 4x2, 4.6 Screw has a GCWR of #11,500. That means the combined gross weight of your truck and the trailer should not exceed this.......

That leaves you with about a max trailer weight of around #6000.... Now that's FULLY LOADED, not the "dry" weight that's listed for it..... That includes all your stuff, the toys, and all the fluids that go along with it as well.... It also assumes your truck weighs in at about #5500...... That will need to include the passengers, stuff and the trailers tongue weight too.

I know they make 22' toy haulers, but I don't know how many they sleep or the weight specs on them. I think they have GVWR of over #7000 however.....

I've got a 22' travel trailer and it only sleeps two with any comfort!! Cound not imagine having the back half of the trailer an open garage!

Anyway, forget about those huge Weekend Warriors, Gear Boxes, etc..... They have dry weights that would make an F250 with a 5.4/4.10 strain......

Good luck!

Mitch

Quick Reply: Ideas for a Toy Hauler