Towing & Hauling

another towing question

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2004, 07:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question another towing question

Hi Gang- I read this entire thread, to make sure I wasn't asking a question that was already asked.... I have a 03 screw, FX4, w/ the 3.73 LS. The FX4 package has the 17 inch tires in it. Now, when I open my trusty owners manual, to page 166, it shows the tow rating chart.
At the bottom, it shows my 5.4, with the 3.73 rear, but only has the 16 inch rim listed. Just above is the 3.55, with the 17 inchers.
There is a 1000 lb difference in these numbers, for my max trailer weight........

So, the question is, can I haul 8200 lbs with the 3.73, or by having the 17 inch rims cut my trailer capabilities down to 7500 Lbs?

I am looking for a fifth wheel , and need to know what my bottom line is.

Thanks for all your help!!

Old 09-06-2004, 01:12 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
S-crew03,

Yes, it's true that the taller tires will cut your tow rating by a certain amount.... Now, this is just assuming you have the STOCK tires too...... It's just not the wheel size, but the tire size is the ultimate decider...

The stock 16" tires are ususally 255/70/16 (sometimes even 235/7016) and are only about 30" tall. The stock 17" tires are 265/70/16 which are about 32" tall. The taller tire makes your effective gear ratio less, so your 3.73 are now turning the tires like a 3.55 would with the stock 16" ones.....

But, if you have put on larger size tires, then it makes it even worse!! I've got 16" wheels, but have 265/75/16 which are the same height as the stock 17" tires..... I've only got the 3.55 gears and I could tell a difference......

As far as the weight goes..... Well, you have to also pay attention to the GCWR that's listed in the manual as well.... It's probably #13500 for your drivetrain combo.... That means, the most your entire rig (truck and trailer) can weigh is #13500. That's fully loaded, all passengers, all your stuff, etc too.....

What you should really do is get your truck weighed and find out how much it weighs with you and whatever stuff maybe in it. Take that weight and subtract it from the GCWR and that's your actual "tow rating"....... You'll have to also subtract any other additional payload or passengers that might tag along if they were not there when you weighed. The book only considers the curb weight of your truck... So no options, no passengers, no payload and only assumes the driver weighs #150!!

Not sure what size 5th wheel you are looking at, but most will have pin weights in the #1200 range and that'll pretty much blow your GVWR and probably even the GAWR of your truck.

In my case, I'm towing a #4500 travel trailer and I've reached the trucks GVWR. My truck is "rated" to tow #7700..........

Anyway, IMO, anything over #7000 in a trailer is better towed with a F250 with either the V10 or even better, the diesel.... The 5.4 is a great engine and it's got pleanty of low end, but you'll be working it pretty hard with an #8000 load, not to mention, you'll probably be exceeding at least one of your trucks other's weight limits....

Good luck!

Mitch

Old 09-06-2004, 08:40 PM
Thanks Mitch- I was hoping I could stay up near the 8K range, as most fifth wheels for 1/2 tons are near that.... I guess maybe I should reconsider and look at travel trailers. At least with them, you can install the torsion bars- sway bars. And with the fifth wheel, I was going to have to install a qwick slide so I dont crunch my cab corners. After all this, I should have bought a super duty. Thanks again,

Old 09-07-2004, 06:22 PM
Cool Lite 5th wheels

I have looked at several aluminum frame 5th wheel trailers that are well below the 5K mark empty. They are names like "ALFA LITE" and seem to be under 27 feet. I have a relative that pulls a low profile, aluminum frame 27 foot with a Toyota T100. V6 and a manual trans.
A 5th wheel should pull better than a ball hitch as long as you are comparing similar weights and sizes.
Find a local RV show and start collecting brochures for the "LITE" series trailers and under 27 feet. You should find something if your size expectations are realistic.
Mitch was right on the money when he said to get your truck weighed and start from there. You are right on when you mentioned the sliding hitch. I have seen lots of mistakes!
Good luck.

Old 09-11-2004, 07:16 AM
I'm coming in here late, but...

I run a 99 scab with a tow rating of 7700. We pull a TT with a base weight of 4650 (actual, gotta put 'em on a scale) dry, and we use an Equalizer hitch. Now this is an ultra light rig, and kinda small, 26 feet. It's just my wife and I and the dog, so it is perfect for us.

Having said that, there are some very nice, light TT's as roomy as a 5'er, that don't take up your truck bed (we haul long bicycles) and will fit within your weight restrictions. You'd be limited even more with a fifth, with your short bed.

Hit the big RV shows and have some fun shopping. I'll bet you'll find several nice rigs to fit your truck.

peace, Dennis

1999 SuperCab Flareside 5.4
2004 Jayco Jay Feather 26S

Old 09-13-2004, 06:04 PM
Talking

Thanks Dennis- I checked the Jayco feathers, and the floorplans on some of those are actually bigger than the 5'rs, and considerably less weight...I like the pull out sections for the sleeping quarters. Great info!

Quick Reply: another towing question