Towing & Hauling

7 pin trailer wiring

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2004, 08:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7 pin trailer wiring

I just installed a 7 pin plug on my 2001 F150 excab lariat. The new plug snapped right in to the OEM harness. I will need to install a controller for a 2 axle brake controller. I see that the OEM harness already had a brake power wire in it. Where would i find the wire near the firewall? The truck did have a towing package once but someone took it all out but the harness. Thanks for any help!

Old 09-10-2004, 12:32 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You should see a grey, square connector under the dash right next to the computer COM port. It'll be just above where your right leg is as you are sitting in the truck.

You'll need the wiring harness that plugs into that connection and has the wires marked for what they are to splice into the wire harness of the brake controller.

You will also need some of the additional fuses and relays that go under the hood. The relay is for the 12v charge wire to the trailers battery and the fuses will be for the trailer lights and I think for the brake controller 12v power supply as well.

Good luck!
Mitch

Old 09-11-2004, 06:08 AM
Mitch, Where would I find this connector? At the ford parts counter?

Originally posted by MitchF150

You'll need the wiring harness that plugs into that connection and has the wires marked for what they are to splice into the wire harness of the brake controller.

Old 09-11-2004, 05:53 PM
Yeah, it's called the "pigtail" connector. I think it cost about $15.00 at the Ford counter when I bought one for my first controller.

I upgraded to the Prodigy brake controller and you can usually buy the optional wiring harness that'll plug right in the truck and the controller in one fancy unit. It only cost $10.00 extra when I got the Prodigy... Really slick setup and I was able to keep the old controller all wired up so if I ever need a spare for whatever reason....

Mitch

Old 09-12-2004, 11:32 PM
I've been reading about people being able to just plug and play with the 7 pin connector. The only plug I've been able to locate on my 1998 also has wiring for the tail lights of my truck. Does the 7 pin harness cover all these bases as well? I've been poking around as I bought a 7/4 plug to wire into my truck. I found 3 wires that stopped at the conection between the front and rear halves of the harness. One wire I have possitively identified as the reverse wire. (black/green stripe) I've also located a blue and an orange wire. I'm guessing the blue wire would control the brakes, but I'm not possitive as I could not measure any voltage when I had someone else press the brake pedal. And that would leave the orange wire as aux. I did check and found fuse possition 28 '30A Trailer Electronic Brake Controller' is in place. Any insight?

Old 09-13-2004, 01:58 PM
I did find the harness and Prodigy controller online for about $110 for both with free shipping. Thanks for all your help Mitch!

Originally posted by MitchF150
Yeah, it's called the "pigtail" connector. I think it cost about $15.00 at the Ford counter when I bought one for my first controller.

I upgraded to the Prodigy brake controller and you can usually buy the optional wiring harness that'll plug right in the truck and the controller in one fancy unit. It only cost $10.00 extra when I got the Prodigy... Really slick setup and I was able to keep the old controller all wired up so if I ever need a spare for whatever reason....

Mitch

Old 09-13-2004, 03:21 PM
high4voltz,

No problem! I think you'll really like the Prodigy!

88blkgtstang,

There should be a connection point at the rear of the truck, right around where the spare tire is. From what I understand, the truck is all wired up for the 7 pin up to that point. So, all the wiring in the cab for the additional stuff is there.

You then either have the standard flat 4 wiring harness to the bumper (you get this when the truck does not have the factory tow package) or the 7 pin one if you do have the tow package.

You should be able to basically "plug and play" with the wiring harness at any rate. It should just plug into the existing connector under the truck and then you are good to go.

Now, the only thing I'm not positive on is the combo 7/4 connector you have........ I don't know when they started coming from the factory with those, but I'm sure it was after 1999 or so.

On my 1997, I only have the 7 pin from the factory. I don't know if the wiring would be any different from the cab to the first connector in order to wire for the lights and brake/turn lights for the flat 4 one separate or not. I would think so, as all they would have to do is spice in on the harness after that first connection??

Anyway, hope that helps....... When I need the flat 4, I just use an adapter that plugs into the 7 pin and has the flat 4 on the end!

Good luck!

Mitch

Quick Reply: 7 pin trailer wiring