Towing & Hauling

Weight distributing hitch....what TW?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 10:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weight distributing hitch....what TW?

Hi all,

I'm getting ready for my move to Arizona. I just bought myself an eighteen foot steel Bri-Mar car hauler to tow my Mustang and tools with me. I've read several suggestions on here and other boards to use a weight distributing hitch. I've been looking at some online and have noticed several brands offer differetn tongue weights but identical tow weights. I have a class III Hidden Hitch on my 98 5.4 4X4 with 3.55 gears. Most WD hitches offer something like a 5-600 TW, 800 TW, and 1200 TW. Do I just want to get the heaviest TW I can? Any help will be most appreciated.

Old 09-16-2004, 03:58 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Those sound like the spring bar ratings for the WD bars themselves. The actual hitch head part of the setup should be rated for at least #1200.

The idea is to match the spring rate to the trailers actual TW. Your class 3/4 hitch on the truck is rated at #1000 TW using WD (class 4).

I think you would do fine with #1000 bars, but that does not seem to be an option for you??

I've got #1000 bars and my trailers TW is only about #550.

You can adjust the tension of the bars by the number of chain links you use when you attach them.

I can tell a difference with as little as a single link difference in tension. Too loose, and it's kinda bouncy on uneven road. Too tight and it actually lifts the rear end up higher then when it's unloaded!

If I couldn't have gotten #1000 bars, I probably would have gotten the #800 myself. The advantage to most car haulers is you can adjust how much TW you have by where you place the vehicle on it..... The closer the front end is moved forward, the heavier the TW..... You want at a minimum, 10% of the total trailer weight as TW, but I think 12-15% is better.

Good luck!

Mitch

Old 09-18-2004, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the response Mitch.

I went and picked up my car hauler today. Pulled nice....empty. What's the difference between round bar and trunnion bars? I have found some other makes of WD that offer 1000#.

Old 09-19-2004, 08:50 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The only difference I know of is the way they attach to the hitch head.... The round bars are bent at a 90* angle and have a slot in the end. It then slips inside the hitch head and the slot catches a pin and that's what holds it in place as well as the tension on the bars. The trunion bars are more of a "T" shape and the ends are what attach to the hitch head the tension of the bars holds it in place.

No difference other then that.... They both do the same thing in distributing the hitch weight to the front end of the truck.

I personally like the round bars, but that's only because that's all I've ever really used. I've used the trunions before on another rig, but I'll use the round bar if I have a choice......

Towing 'anything' empty will always tow pretty well!! Get that thing loaded up and hit that first 5% grade and you will find out how 'stout' your truck really is!

Good luck and HAVE FUN!!!

Mitch

Old 09-27-2004, 12:08 AM
Well, I went with an Equal-i-zer weight distribution/anti-sway hitch. I found out, through a camper forum, that it was available online from www.rvwholesalers.com for the good price of $399. That included the shank. I also ordered a stainless steal hitch ball from a local company, QMC Technologies. (www.qmctechnologies.com) Nice piece. Thanks again for the info Mitch. I'll be sure to leave some feedback from my trip, and on how the gear handled.

Quick Reply: Weight distributing hitch....what TW?