Towing & Hauling

towing a boat

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 11:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
towing a boat

i just got a 98 f150 4.6 4x4 with 100,000 miles. i have a 3500lb boat to tow. what do i need to do to the truck so it will tow with no problems. shift kit, trans cooler, computer chip, sway bar, etc.? what do i need?

i am afraid to push the truck hard because i dont want to over heat the trans. is that even a problem?

also, i read that tire pressure shuld be increased when towing. front and rear tires or jsut rear? how much pressure?

thanks,
chris

Old 09-28-2004, 11:11 AM
I have a 98 4.6L that I tow a TT with. When the TT is loaded its about 5500 lbs or so. My truck was equiped with the factory tow package. One of the important items included with that is the transmission cooler. If you don't have one, install one. I originally towed with the truck in its stock configuration plus tow package and was pretty happy with it. The only changes I have made since then are to regear from 3.55 to 4.10 and a better flowing muffler. Make sure that at a minimum you have the proper hitch, and a transmission cooler and you maintain your engine and transmission accordingly you will be pleased and you won't be pushing your truck past its limits. Also, if your boat trailer doesn't have surge brakes you really need to get one that does. Just not safe without them. And illegal in most states at that weight. Oh yeah, I also run all my tires at max pressure when I tow.

Old 09-28-2004, 11:48 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd agree in that the biggest thing you need - if your truck doesn't have the factory Class III tow package - is a transmission cooler. At 100,000 miles, I wouldn't add one without sevicing the transmission first either. The only other "must have" item would be a Class III hitch. Everything else on your list is nice, but not absolutely needed. Remember through, the 4.6 will not be a rocket with a trailer behind it.

Old 09-28-2004, 03:03 PM
how do i know if a towing package was installed? i know i have a class III hitch. im not sure if i have a trans cooler or not.

thanks,
chris

Old 09-28-2004, 03:15 PM
Hyper1685,
A few ways I know to tell, if you don't sill have the window sticker, is look to see if you have a "factory" installed 7 pin trailer plug with your hitch, the hitch may still have the Ford factory weight rating sticker on it, look for the factory transmission cooler in front of the radiator on the lower right (driver) side, the power steering cooler will be smaller on the lower left (passenger) side, and look to see if you have the higher rated (130amp) alternator. The factory tow package included all these.

Old 09-28-2004, 05:37 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
look for the factory transmission cooler in front of the radiator on the lower right (driver) side, the power steering cooler will be smaller on the lower left (passenger) side
Ummm... I think you got that reversed.... On mine anyway, it's the opposite... The pass side is the trans cooler and the drivers side is the PS cooler.

Other way to verify the coolers is that the trans cooler will look like a 'mini radiator' and the PS cooler is your standard "tube and fin" type of cooler.

You only get the trans cooler on the 4.6 if you also get the tow package.... At least back then... It might be different now....

At anyrate, you'll want to verify the trans cooler part. Even with as small as a boat as you are describing, the trans will get pretty hot in low speed and low airflow to the rad situations... Like on the boat ramp for example...... That'll be when you would see the highest trans temps IMO.....

Good luck!

Mitch

Old 09-28-2004, 06:16 PM
Mitch150,

Thanks for the recalibration, you are correct. I had the sides reversed.

Old 09-29-2004, 04:22 PM
Talking

Hey tmc0747, I see you cruise the RV.NET forums too! Same here...... Do most of my "cruising" while at work too! he, he.....

Old 09-29-2004, 05:25 PM
Mitch150,
Looks like your right across the sound from me, I've probably hauled my TT in your neck of the woods.

Old 09-29-2004, 06:44 PM
Thumbs up tmc0747

Sure am. I've been over there too. Went to Manchester State Park not too long ago.... Nice place, hard to find the first time however! Missed the turn going up some long *** hill. Had to drive for several miles before I found a place to be able to turn around!

Old 09-29-2004, 11:32 PM
Nice park. I live right around the corner.

Old 09-30-2004, 08:21 PM
thanks for all the help everyone! i dont have a trans cooler. what trans cooler should i get? is there a trans cooler made for my truck,or am i going to have to buy tubing and make it work with my truck? should i get a cooler with a fan on it?

thanks,
chris

Old 10-01-2004, 09:47 AM
I'd get the "stacked plate" type. You can get them from the Ford Parts Dept, Jegs, Summit Racing and probably a host of other places. One site you might check out first is Troyer Performance (he's a sponsor of this site and they are a really good outfit)

You can also get those "tube and fin" type of coolers, but mounting them is usually with those plastic tie things that go thru the rad fins!! Sounds like a problem waiting to happen with that......

I still don't understand why aux trans coolers are not standard equipment...... I mean, my trans will run up to 180* in hot weather or in stop and go traffic and I've got a cooler!! Could not imagine how hot one gets with only the rad cooler to rely on??

But, I guess the auto manufactures know what the heck they are doing?? (yeah, right)

Good luck!

Mitch

Quick Reply: towing a boat