Towing & Hauling

towing 101?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2004, 11:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
towing 101?

Next weekend is going to be the first time my truck sees trailer duty and I'd appreciate any advice.

I'll be borrowing a car hauler to pick up a '64 Nova that is 10 hours away.

The truck is a 2004 F150 with a 4.6 auto and a tow package. I believe the gears are 3.55. I still have to get a ball and receiver.

Any advice on hauling or anything I need to buy?

Old 09-30-2004, 11:45 AM
I'm not sure how much weight that would be, I'd assume close to 2 tons, so I'd want to have a brake controller. If it was just around town you may not worry about it but for 10 hours you should have one. Perhaps you can borrow a controller as they plug in under the dash (that is on the '02, not sure about '04).

Old 09-30-2004, 01:17 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Brake controller will only work if you have the 7 pin connector and additional fuses under the hood. I think you only get that with a 'tow package' from the factory.... You can add it of couse, but if you are already having to add the receiver, then you didn't get the factory tow package......

Does the trailer even have electric brakes?? It could have the "surge" type of brake system too, in which case, all you need to do is hitch it up.....

Other things to consider..... In the past, the 4.6 equipped trucks did NOT include an aux trans cooler if it did not have the tow package..... I'm not positive on the '04's, but you should check.... dgscrew is correct in that you are looking at about 2 tons of car PLUS the weight of the trailer..... That'll produce a bunch of heat in your trans, even just cruising down the freeway....

You might be looking at about #5500 total weight.... Probably will be less, depending on the actual weight of the car of course, but something to consider would be a weight distribution hitch setup..... This will distribute some of the tongue weight of the trailer to the front axle of the truck and make the tow a whole lot nicer!

I'm sure you are probably just thinking of picking up the trailer, loading up the car and off you go...... That's basically true, and if this is a one time gig, then you'll probably get away with it, but before you head out, do some basic checks on the truck and trailer....

This is what I would do.... Air up the tires to the MAX COLD PSI that shows on the sidewall of the TIRES. Do the same on the trailer tires. Make sure all your fluids on the truck are topped off. Check the condition of the trailer tires.... Make sure there are no cracks and that all the tires have decent tread (might want to have a spare tire as well??). Check the lug nuts on the trailer... Since it's not yours, you have no idea the last time they were checked...... Check the trailer lights. Make sure the turn signals, brake and running lights all work. Make sure you have the correct size ball for the trailers coupler.... For a car hauler, I'd say it should be at least a 2-5/8" ball. When you load the car on, make sure you get at least 60% of the weight up front. If you don't get the WD hitch setup, you won't be able to put as much weight up front without having the rear end sag, so you'll just have to wing it.... If you do get the WD setup, you can probably move the car as far forward as the trailer will allow, and that'll make for a better tow..... Drive with some extra caution and leave a bit more room and allow for a lot of extra braking distance. You won't be able to drive it like you can when it's empty.... Stay in the right lane and don't try to stay in front of everyone.... Let people pass, it ain't no race! Take it easy and check the trailer at every gas stop you make.... Look at the tires, make sure the hitch setup is ok, etc.....

I don't mean to make this sound like a lecture, but you didn't say how much tow experience you have, so I took it from a "beginner" standpoint!

Good luck and HAVE FUN!

Mitch

Old 09-30-2004, 01:32 PM
Mitch,

this is exactly the type of advice I was looking for, thanks.

The truck came with the factory tow package, I meant to say I needed a ball and ballmount, not ball and receiver.

I'm hoping to be able to distribute the weight evenly by moving the car around. And yes, this is going to be a one-shot deal.

Thanks again for the advice. ANything else?

Old 09-30-2004, 02:08 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yeah, I didn't catch the part about you saying you DID have the tow package already.....

It sounds like you won't be using the WD setup, so moving the car around will be the only way to adjust the tongue weight. Don't be affraid to let the rear sag some in this case....... IMO, it's better to have more tongue weight and let the rear sag a bit then to have less TW. What will happen with too little TW is the trailer will probably start to sway on it's own just going in a straight line.... It's all about physics and such, but all you need to know is if you start having sway issues, pull over and move the car forward some..... That'll probably resolve the swaying....

Don't be too surprised if you can't run in OD all the time either..... You can give it a try, but if you find you just have to press the gas pedal more to maintain speed, it's not doing you a whole lotta good anyway.... Lugging an engine down is worse for it then the higher revs are IMO.... Also, if it seems to be shifting in and out of OD a lot, then that's not good either.. Again, better to just let it ride in third. Ain't gonna hurt nothing and you're not going to get good gas mileage anyway, so why fret about it!!

Before you actually buy the ball, you should verify the size beforehand...... Like I said, it "should" be a 2-5/8", but stranger things do occur and it could be just a 2" one......

Take care and have a safe trip!

Mitch

Last edited by MitchF150; 09-30-2004 at 03:11 PM.
Old 09-30-2004, 05:59 PM
Cool

I have rented car haulers in the Los angeles area. The rental units I have used seem to have a 2" ball and surge brakes. They weigh in at almost 2,000# empty. I think the rental yards are pretty decent at checking tires, lights, condition, etc. I'm sure the issue of legal liability is the motivator here.
I would call your intended rental agent in advance and ask for ball size, plug requirements, and brake info.
The biggies (U-Haul, Ryder, Penske, etc.) will even have instructional brochures. They all want their customers to be safe and successful.
Good luck.

Old 09-30-2004, 06:07 PM
Unhappy

Forgive me. I thought you said "Rented", not "Borrowed". This was my error.
Anyway, call the trailer owner ASAP and get the info. The ball size should be stamped somewhere on the coupler. Make sure you get the right size. A mistake will quickly separate the truck and trailer.
I have actually seen trailers come loose twice. Fortunately, never on my vehicles. This is why I believe in triple checking.
Good luck.

Quick Reply: towing 101?