Towing & Hauling

Owner-installed tow package?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2004, 11:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Owner-installed tow package?

I am looking for some advice on what I should do to get my 04 f150 set up for towing. For savings, I opted for a truck with no factory-installed tow package. I have the receiver but need help on where to find what I need for installing the 7-pin connector. Will the standard signal relays be okay? I notice the brake controller connector is under the dash just like the wife's Expedition.... is the wiring in place elsewhere in the truck? (to the bumper... battery...etc)

What about oil cooling, transmission cooling, larger radiator?

4.6L 3.55 regular cab 8' bed towing 3500# boat and 5000# travel trailer.

All help is much appreciated

Old 10-02-2004, 03:03 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I opted for a truck with no factory-installed tow package
Bummer man...... It might cost you more $$ and time to get it to the same level as the factory package would have gotten you out of the box... What, a $300 optinon???

Anyway...... I'm pretty sure you have to add a trans cooler with the 4.6. I still don't think you get one, unless you get the tow package. It's a must to have one if you tow anything however.....

You should be able to go into any Ford Parts counter and buy the 7 pin connector. All you will have to do is unplug the standard flat 4 connector and plug in the new 7 pin one. It should be right around where the spare tire is..... The rest of the wiring is already there, except for the "pigtail" you need for the under dash connector to the brake controller.

You will also need the extra relays and fuses for the trailer lights and such. One relay is for the 12v charge wire to the trailers battery and the other is for backup lights, which you probably don't need anyway.... There should be a 30 amp fuse for the lights and the brake controller someplace in there too.... I think you also get an upgraded alternator with the tow package too.... 130 amp, compared to a 95 amp one....

As far as the rad goes, in the "early days", you used to get an "upgraded" rad with the tow package..... You will either have a single core or a double core rad... I think the difference is obvious..... Ford, on the other hand, does not, as I think that you get the same rad (single core) if you get the tow package or not on the new trucks.......

You are SOL on the oil cooling (unless you go aftermarket).... I don't think the 4.6 comes with the same oil cooling feature as the 5.4's have, which is incorporated into the cooling system and it basically runs extra coolant hoses to an adapter on the oil filter housing and cools the oil that way.

If you are anyway concerned about your fluid temps, you WILL need to get aftermarket gauges.... The Ford gauges are worthless that way.... They are only idiot lights with a needle on them.... Don't tell you squat about the actual temps..... I've got some Autometer Water and Trans temp gauges and that's what you really need to know when towing....

Good luck!!

Mitch

Old 10-02-2004, 10:30 PM
tsc
Like Mitch said. Bummer,

Try going to a RV dealer that sells pop-up or tent trailers. They should be able to sell/ install a oil and tranny cooler. Maybe also the pig tail for the 7 way.

Good luck

On the '03 brochure,

Trailer Tow Group - Class III

Class III frame mounter hitch reciever
7-pin trailer wiring harness
Heavy duty shock absorbers
Auxillary transmission oil cooler (4 speed automatic)
Limited slip rear axle

'04 brochure

Trailer Tow Package

Class IV hitch reciever
7-pin trailer wiring harness
Heavy duty 72 amp-hr battery
Auxilary transmission oil cooler

Old 10-07-2004, 04:15 PM
Try this link
http://www.f150store.com/Browse/Plat...omponentID=109

F150store.com is Moss Motors. I have their catalog at home and the prices don't look too bad.

Sidewinder

Quick Reply: Owner-installed tow package?