Towing & Hauling

need wiring help please

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 01:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need wiring help please

hello all, i have a problem that hopefully you can help me out with. it's probably something very simple that i've done wrong but can't locate...

scoured this site last night looking for the same problem but no luck. used your comments and suggestions to others to answer alot of questions before i posted. i have a 2000 f150 supercab with the towing package. it has the oil and tranny cooler and all fuses and relays are present and intact.

my factory 7 pin plug was damaged so i am installing an aftermarket flat four and a wiring kit to a trailer. i spliced the green, white, yellow and brown wires from the factory plug to the matching wires of the hoppy 48245 connector. i placed peterson universal stop, tail and turn lights on the trailer and per thier instructions ran the brown to brown and the red to the green and yellow turn function wires. only have red and brown options on the lights. the trailer wiring kit has yellow and brown for the left side, green and brown for the right side and a white ground wire.

whew, windy i know but maybe this is where i went wrong. on the factory plug, the cap shows the white wire as being negative. should i have connected the white wire from the new plug to the chassis vice splicing into the white plug wire???

my problem is no brake lights. have turn signals and parking lights. once this is fixed i have a couple of towing questions since this will be my first experience towing a trailer. just want to get legal first...

thanks
vic

3:05 pm. just got done with the trouble light and multimeter. found the problem to be insufficient ground on the trailer. got a good contact and presto, brake lights galore. i will return with a few other questions concerning towing here in the near future. i am converting the frame of a 22ft travel trailer to a 16ft multi purpose trailer. mainly to haul quads and dirt bikes around but also small yard work type stuff. it's a tandem axle and i am removing one of them and have chopped five feet from the rear of the trailer. i'll be back with questions soon.
thanks again

Last edited by aceisback; 10-11-2004 at 06:22 PM.

Quick Reply: need wiring help please