Towing & Hauling

Can I use Overdrive when towing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 11:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I use Overdrive when towing?

I know that on my old Ranger I couldn't use the overdrive, so what are the rules on using overdrive when towing a trailer with my 2004 F-150 SCREW?

Old 01-21-2005, 01:25 AM
If the load is heavy enough that it consistently kicks it down into 3rd, then you really should turn the overdrive off. When I pull if I am on fairly flat highway and I can keep it going 70 or 75 then I leave overdrive on, but otherwise I take it off. I can tow about 7 or 8 g's with mine and have the overdrive on, but its probally not the best thing. It just depends on your gearing, trailor wieght etc.

Old 01-21-2005, 07:53 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is not rule. The guideline as mentioned is to keep it in overdrive as long as shifting is not excessive. If it is shifting in and out of overdrive more than every 5 mintues, keep it in 3rd gear.

Old 01-22-2005, 09:26 PM
I have read extensively on this subject. Mainly on RV.net. Everybody has different opinions. The owners manual states you can tow in OD unless excess shifting occurs. Thats what it said in my 03 Expy manual. I havent read my 04 screw manual yet, but its prolly the same. Check yours out. I've heard all kinds of stories of trannies burning up towing in OD. Expecially in the Chevy trucks. Chevy manuals say dont ever tow in OD. However,, all this said, you almost never read about someones tranny burning up that never towed in OD. I think if I'm towing on flat land I might take that chance. If I tow on small hills and I feel the engine bogging and loosing speed up the hill, I just leave the OD off just to be safe. IMHO.

Old 01-23-2005, 07:11 PM
Yeah thats sounds right. I burned up my tranny in my ranger and I was told it was because of towing in OD, my chev blazer manual said not to tow in OD, But my 04screw manual doesn't say anyting about towing in OD.

Old 01-25-2005, 07:52 AM
Sparky,
Look on page186, "driving while you tow". (like what else would I be doing, riding in the back ?). Anyway, it states to eliminate excessive shifting, use a lower gear. Then for more info, it says go to "understanding your 4 speed tranny.
on page 159, bottom, it says again turn OD off when driving condition allow excessive shifting. It gives examples as well, like towing a heavy load, hilly terrain, city driving. and last towing a trailer.
The key thing here excessive shifting. Some people imply "towing a trailer" as dont use over drive. But, what if it's a little jon boat trailer. I wouldnt even know it's back there. Would I tow at 3K rpm's towing a motorcycle trailer... nope. How many people out there drive in OD in the city ? I do... I dont think Ford has a cut and dry policy like Chevy. Ford kinda beats around the bush a little, but the key words are excessive shifting. My new truck has 3.55 gears, my old expy had 3.73. I could use OD on flat roads, but dont think I can with the 3.55 gear. The new truck boggs up hills. The 03 Expy out pulls the F-150 because the the gears. The gas mileage is the same. I see no reason for the 3.55 gears. Thats a different story though..

pate

Old 01-25-2005, 11:34 AM
I agree, stick to the rule of thumb. Shifting is bad if it's a heavy load. I tow my racecar only with OD off. Better power up and down the hills, and doesn't seem to increase fuel un-economy too badly. If it were just a little trailer with a SeaDoo on it, I would likely leave the truck in OD though.

Old 01-25-2005, 01:24 PM
something funny

This reminds me of my uncle and his New Tahoe. The tranny started leaking at about 5K miles. He brought it in and the stealer said "you've been towing in OD havent you" ? my uncle said yes, I have 4x6 trailer hauling a small riding lawn mower. DO NOT TOW IN OD, the mech states. My uncle got the tranny replaced, no cost to him, but never towed again in OD. I think the tranny was defective from the start. Not long after that the the Tahoe got traded in for an F-150. My uncle still believes in not towing in OD. I get a laugh when I imagine the F-150 5.4 L, 3.73 gear, breezing down the road at 70mph, 3,000 rpm, 10 mpg, with a little lawn mower bouncing around behind the truck. Lets all go out a cut our nose off to spite our face. Common sense rules here, but not at the Chevy dealer..

Old 01-27-2005, 06:48 PM
Thank you all!
This is some great info, I tried pulling my 8X12 homebuilt ATV trailer with two quads on it, usually I have 3-4 atvs on it, and this is in Saskatchewan so the land is very flat. My truck never came out of OD untill I pulled out to pass a semi, I was traveling a 120km an houre. Man does this truck pull hard compared to my blazer.

Old 01-27-2005, 07:16 PM
Sparky...whr u from...I am in Moose Jaw....

YEs...all the info above is good.

If your tranny is "hunting"...excessive up and down...then take it out of OD.

Old 01-28-2005, 09:16 AM
I live in Regina, Pats Rule! Well not this year lol

Old 01-31-2005, 01:51 PM
There is more than the transmission to consider. OD towing can put additional strain on the motor. Yes, it will downshift at some point if the load becomes too heavy (automatic of course). But common sense should rule. There are light towing loads that can easily be towed in OD. Bouncing in and out of OD is the best indicator because it indicates heavy loads on the engine. Then it is better to let the motor spin.

Quick Reply: Can I use Overdrive when towing?