Towing & Hauling

F150 hauling a Gremlin

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005 | 11:29 PM
|
F150 hauling a Gremlin

I have a 2002 f150 supercab FX4 4x4 5.4 and auto. I want to know what kind of trailer I should look for to haul my car to the drag strip and would my truck handle the car trailer and stuff in the bed. (tools etc.) I also want a trailer for other uses as well. What about hauling a car for a long distance? I dont want to push the truck too much but i want to get the best use out of it as well. Any suggestions or info would be appreciated.

Old 01-25-2005 | 02:25 PM
First, I would look at your owners man. to see what the max weight truck is designed to pull, with whatever gears you have. engine, 4x4, 18"rims all have a difference in tow capacity. You should be able to tow a large enclosed car trailer with no problem, given you have the correct hitch set up. Other people on this site tow car trailers all the time. However, I would raise an eyebrow at going cross counrty at max capacity. I like to have a little buffer, say about 1000 lbs.(thats for going up hills). You can do a search and find out more or go to RV.net and read all kinds of stuff, but the RV'ers like overkill. They love their PSD's.

27' Wilderness W/ slideout (approx. 7300# loaded)
5.4 tow pack, 3.55 gear (hills are tough)
70mph, OD off, 2750 rpm flat land, no problem.

Old 01-25-2005 | 05:36 PM
Cool

Since you want to put tools in the bed, I assume you are looking at an open car trailer. This should be under 2K empty. The car is a Gremlin, probably well under 2,500#. This is a total of 4,500#. The enclosed trailer is a lot heavier. Than you start adding shop equipment and tools, the weight climbs real fast.
You did not mention your rear-end ratio or if you have trailer pkg. This all makes a difference. The 4WD option also REDUCES tow capacity.
My 1998 4.6L 2WD has 3.55 LS and a tow pkg. Max tow is 7,000#. This assumes I have no weight in the truck, only the driver. Any weight in truck must be deducted from tow capacity.
Get the real numbers and do your own math. The 1,000# safety margin for long distance towing is a good idea.
The open trailer is probably the best bet. But, you should get all the facts first.
Good luck.

Quick Reply: F150 hauling a Gremlin