Towing & Hauling

Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 11:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Insurance

Is your trailer covered under your truck insurance or do you need to buy insurance for your trailer?

Thanks
John

Old 02-12-2005, 09:31 PM
re: trailer

It all depends on what type of trailer. "Utility" trailer vs. "travel trailer". It also depends on your insurance carrier. With RV type trailers, specific insurance is needed. On "Utility" trailer (flat bed, lawn mower, etc) I'd think the vehicle pulling the trailer would cover it. Best check with the Insurance Carrier, though. Good luck!

Old 02-13-2005, 10:29 PM
With my insurance, anything attached to the truck is covered under the trucks insurance. So, my trailer is covered under my truck's warranty when it is hooked to the truck, and it is covered under my home owners policy when it is sitting in the yard.
You'll have to check w/ your insurance agent about your specific policy(ies).

Old 02-14-2005, 01:21 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
36fan has the perfect example of the difference between policies..... His covers his trailers and mine does not....

In my case, my auto insurance covers zero on any trailer being towed, even though I have full coverage on the truck...

I had to get separate insurance coverage on my travel trailer because the bank still owns it for one, and because my auto coverage does not cover any trailer being towed..... I do believe my home owners will cover the trailer when it's sitting in the yard, but the additional coverage on the trailer is only an additional $150 / year anyway, so it's not really a big deal....

I'd have the additional coverage on the travel trailer anyway, even if the bank did not "own" it. That way it's covered while it's out "camping" as well.... I don't think your homeowners coverage would cover it if it's in Jellystone National Park and Yogi the Bear decides see if there's a picnic basket inside!!

Everyone's policies will be different..... Then, you'd still have to read the "fine print" on it to see what the specifics are....

Good luck!

Mitch

Old 02-14-2005, 06:57 PM
Thanks for the info guys, I spoke with Geico today and my truck policy covers the liability on the trailer but thats it.

I have them put comp and collison and $5000 content coverage on there and its a whooping $28 a year lol

I didnt get a price on insuring the race car though, that has to done separately.

Thanks again for the help.

Mac

Quick Reply: Insurance