Towing & Hauling

What type of WD Hitch??

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 03:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What type of WD Hitch??

I am about to purchase a Jayco 27 foot travel trailer. I have already ordered the prodigy brake controller. I am wondering what type of Weight Distribution Hitch I should purchase. The dealer is going to charge me over $700.00 if I purchase it through them. Is there anything special that has to be done?? I have a 2001 SC, 5.4, with the towing package. I am looking for one that does not have to be messed with when backing up or under certain weather restrictions. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Howie

Old 02-14-2005, 04:00 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
$700.00!!!! That's way too much for just a standard WD hitch setup. Even for the Reese Dual Cam setup, I'd think that's a bit high.... It's a great price if it's for a Hensley however...

My dealer got me the EAZ-Lift WD setup for $250.00 INSTALLED.

When I was pricing them out at retail price, I came up with the same price.... Installation is not really all that much.... You just have to get the correct hitch height measurments and have large enough sockets or wrenches for the large nuts and bolts on the hitch....

A new Dual Cam setup should only run you about $500.00 at the most......

It's hard to say if you "need" the dual cam or not..... Mostly depends on how the combo tows with just the WD setup. A lot of sway that does occur is mostly due to not having enough tongue weight in the first place.... You always want to have the most heavy stuff up front or at least add more weight up front if you do have to load up something heavy in the back....

Mitch

Old 02-16-2005, 04:55 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A couple of years ago, I bought the Reese WD hitch with 800 lb. spring bars for around $369.00 and put it on myself. It has been mounted on 2 different travel trailers since then and has been a great setup.

Old 02-18-2005, 12:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For safety reasons, I would (and did) definately go with either a Reese Dual Cam HP (my choice) or an Equalizer. Either of these are very good at controling sway, and they also include the weight distribution setup. If anyone trys to convince you to go with a friction type of sway control, run away fast! They are terrible and unsafe IMO (not meant to start a debate). Anyways, you can get either the Reese or Equalizer for about $400 from places like etrailer.com or hitchfinder.com.

Quick Reply: What type of WD Hitch??