Towing & Hauling

F150 "jumps" when pulling a trailer

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 09:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I plan to tow with the OD on, unless it starts shifting alot, then I'll turn it off. Is that about right?
Thats right! Good luck.

Old 03-11-2005, 06:17 PM
Also in Austin... Also new to trailering and have a 2002 FX4. Mine was doing the EXACT same thing until I realized that the pin was a Class II pin and the receiver a Class III/IV. The pin diameter is completely different. That little difference prevented the ball mount from slipping in and out the extra 1/8th inch and made the difference. Maybe that is all there is to it?

Old 03-15-2005, 05:23 PM
I'm pulling the boat this weekend and I'll let you know. Thanks again, guys!
Well, how did it do?

Old 03-21-2005, 12:25 PM
Well guys,

I welded 6 beads across the hitch and ground them down to take up the slack, changed the fuel filter, lubed the bushings, and changed the ball...One of the four did the trick. It pulls like a champ now. Thanks for all of you help, guys!!

Old 03-21-2005, 04:44 PM
Check your tongue weight and your hitch height. Are the trailers you are pulling tandem axle? With a tandem axle trailer if the hitch height is wrong it will unload one set of wheels and beat you around when you go over bumps and stuff. If the tongue is too light it will bounce the truck up and down and that could be construed as a jerking motion. The fix for that is more tongue weight or adjusting the hitch height to make everything happy. If you are using a weight distributing hitch try loosening the bars a bit to put more load on the tongue. If you can post more info on the kind of trailer (axles and such), and maybe we can narrow it down a little more.

Whoops!!!..... didn't see that last post saying you got it. My bad.

Old 03-31-2005, 11:04 PM
I am glad you fixed the problem. I noticed you said you have a locking rear end, unless you put it in you have a limited grip I mean limited slip.

Old 04-06-2005, 01:53 PM
i HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY 01 SUPERCREW. THE PROBLEM WITH MINE WAS THE TOWBAR WAS LOOSE. IT HAS ALOT OF PLAY IN THE RECEIVER. CHECK FOR EXTRA PLAY.

Old 06-20-2005, 11:24 AM
Just came across your post, I had the same problem. My problem was the springs, I know you have HD springs but you may have stressed them. I had the whole drive line either replaced or balanced. I added some Helwig HD springs and that solved the problem. What was happening was the rear end was sagging on take off and the pinion angle changed causing vibration.

Old 07-26-2005, 09:54 PM
Location: about 45 miles from our great states capitle. We live 1/2 mile off the trail, God's country.
loosey goosey

I've had the same thing happen. It's known as "slop" in the reciever hitch. Try sway arms or ad weld and grind flat till the draw bar is snug in the reciever.

Rock on, Ford fans!!

Old 07-29-2005, 07:37 AM
Ok, a friend of mine had a similar issue.

the pin that secures your reciever hitch comes in two sizes. He was using the smaller size in a hitch that required the larger size. This left alot of "slop" in the receiver hitch and was extrememly noticable when towing.

Just a thought.

good luck!

Quick Reply: F150 "jumps" when pulling a trailer