Towing & Hauling

Supercharger for towing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2005, 01:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Supercharger for towing?

I have a 2000 F-150 with a 4.6 and was wondering about the benifits of installing a supercharger to tow my 4000lb travel trailer. Is this a good idea or a bad idea and why? It does OK right now but, I would like more power for hills and long inclines. Thanks for any inputs.....Mike S.

Old 05-21-2005, 02:13 PM
I'm partial to a roots type system...it's going to give you a lot of lower end power and torque which would be great for towing, conversely however that means you'll be working it pretty good (which isn't a bad thing), it just means you'll need to provide adequate cooling in terms of a good intercooler at least, and maybe a heftier radiator. That's my $0.02 but I don't have any direct experience input so yeah.

Old 05-21-2005, 03:17 PM
I was thinking about the Procharger 8 or 9 psi intercooled kit. Would this be a good choice? I had one on my Mustang and really liked it alot.

Old 05-23-2005, 07:27 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For the cost of a supercharger, you can sell your truck and buy another w/ 5.4L or an F-250 V10.

Old 07-21-2005, 05:02 PM
This is my first post on here so "Hello Everyone". My main reason for joining was to ask just this question. I also have a 4.6 F-150 and I am thinking of rebuilding the motor and was wondering about adding a supercharger also. I have the same questions as badpony since I use mine to pull a trailer and it is lacking in power.

I don't want another truck. I want my truck with more power. I have kind of grown partial to it if you know what I mean.

Can a mustang 4.6 engine or a cobra engine be installed in an F-150 since it is a 4.6 or are there issues with that?

Old 07-22-2005, 07:29 AM
I'm sure the supercharger will help with the towing (50-65% increase in power puts the 4.6 at just over 300HP; not sure what the tq will be). With the manufacturing processes and factory warranties these days, the owners of Paxton, Powerdyne, Magnacharger, etc. are satisfied with their supercharger and actually have put some miles on them (30k +). Check out the Supercharger and Turbocharger forum.

Ebay sellers have kits for the 4.6 and 5.4; 4-6 hr bolt-on experience and no tune required. 91-93 octane will be required, though. I'm sure Troyer Performance could hook you up with a system and tuner to maximize your power. He's one of the Supporting Vendors; click in the upper right-hand corner and check out Troyer Performance.

Best of luck,
Curt

Old 07-23-2005, 12:48 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i have a vortech(similar to procharger) and i hate to tell you but i dont think you would be happy with the results, the only time the s/c was a benefit in towing was a passing situation were i made over 3500 rom, below that, you just dont know it is there. some may tell you different but i speak from experience. my truck i s much quicker (and that is what i wanted) but the lowend is uneffected.

i think for you a chip or tuner and either electric fans or exhaust sytem would give you that little bump that you are looking for, post this question in the computer chip section.

the allen (magna kit) would be you only option and i dont even know if they are still in business. this is roots kit and they do come up used sometimes.

i pulled a 21 ft prowler last summer and got 7 mpg hwy

Quick Reply: Supercharger for towing?