Towing & Hauling

Probably a stupid towing question

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2005 | 12:47 AM
|
Probably a stupid towing question

OK, I really didn't buy my 01 screw to tow anything, but I have a 35' boat on a triaxle trailer that I need to tow about 1/2 mile to and from the ramp to launch. The guys that usually do it are about to double the price on me, and I'm trying to figure out if I can do it myself. I'm actually pretty experienced at towing. My last boat was a 26' that I launched and towed with my Z71 (previous life). Anyway, it's downhill to the ramp and obviously uphill back. I don't know the grade. The grade of the ramp is, of course, pretty decent and it is long. The boat wieghs about 10,500 dry, carries about 200 gals of gas (1200 pounds) and about 35 gallons of water (240 pounds). The rest of my junk weighs around 1500 pounds and the trailer weighs around 1500 pounds (a guess). What do you think? Can I do this? I think I could use 4x4 low range to come out, but stopping it might be a challenge. I could put it in low range going down the ramp, too. Am I asking too much? I am running BFG 255/16's and have the 5.4 with 3.55 gears. OK, let me have it!
Steve

Last edited by slarson; 06-03-2005 at 12:55 AM.
Old 06-03-2005 | 01:37 AM
Ummm.... NO!

Looking at towing 15000lbs with any F150 isnt a good idea, even if it is a short distance. Your truck weighs maybe 5500lbs?? (1)Your truck/boat ratio is too far off to be safe, 5500/15000. Even with trailer brakes, it probably would push you into the water going down the ramp! (2)Your rear end would sag like crazy loading 10% (1500lbs) tongue weight. Your engine can do the work, and it could be possible, but, the bottom line is, it just isnt a safe thing to do. Think of the liability if something were to go wrong on the ramp.

Now, if you were to upgrade to a F350, then you could pull it anywhere you want....

Old 06-03-2005 | 08:13 AM
Ever seen those pictures of a tow vehicle that got pulled down the ramp by the boat and ended up in the water?

Trying to pull 15k out of the hole with a F150 would probably get you a burned out tranny, busted U joints, busted rear end, or maybe all three.

Russ

Old 06-03-2005 | 11:45 AM
Originally Posted by rksylves
Trying to pull 15k out of the hole with a F150 would probably get you a burned out tranny, busted U joints, busted rear end, or maybe all three.

Russ
I doubt it would result in anywhere near that kind of damage. I can imagine pulling two 7000 lb trucks tied together up that ramp, no problem. Low range first gear and it'll crawl right up and out without any carnage, guaranteed. They're very correct on the braking situation though, not to mention being more than double the recommended GCWR, and the boat out-weighing the truck 2:1, the load on the rear axle will be grossly the GAWR.... Personally, I wouldn't chance it, not with my truck.

-Joe

Old 07-01-2005 | 03:54 PM
Yeah, sorry to say, I've seen trucks pulled into the water with boats smaller than yours. It just isn't something you want to risk, unless you like fish swimming around your ankles. As I read your post, that's the first thing I pictured. Try to find someone cheaper than your current guy to tow it for you, maybe? It'll be cheaper than sinking your truck! Good luck.

Old 07-14-2005 | 03:28 PM
I think it can do it. I don't really recommend it. For Example, moved last year and used my father's van and trailer to move all my stuff. He has a 24' enclosed car trailer/race trailer. This was towed with a Chevy Conversion Van (350 ci). It was PACKED FULL of everything I own. I'm guessing it was at about 20,000 lbs. Drove that for 200 miles straight through (only stopping for gas). Now I don't recommend anybody do this, but I saved alot of money and only had one tire blow out . due to the pressure. And this van doesn't have nearly as much ***** as my F-150 does. This van was set up to pull a lot of wieght though (Normally about 9,000 - 10,000 lbs). It wasn't just a trailer hooked up to a hitch. I think the truck can do it. As long as you can stop before your truck ends up in the water. Pully it out will be no problem at all.

Old 07-14-2005 | 10:05 PM
My vote's with RobDogg.

Old 07-15-2005 | 12:37 AM
can it pull it out - probably.
Should you do it - probably not.
Could you launch with it - maybe
should you launch with it - no.

one time I loaded a tandem flat bed trailer up with ~10,000 lbs of gravel (I forget the exact amount) and towed it about 5 miles on flat country roads. I crept along at 25-30 mph. My 2000 F150 was sagging and working hard to stop (later I found the trailer brakes weren't working).

I definately wouldn't try stopping going backwards on a slippery hill with that kind of weight. A straight shot out in 4 low - maybe, but not launching.

Old 07-15-2005 | 10:04 AM
I wouln't even think about it. Even with Trailer brakes, you'd have to have them set to almost lock up the trailer to avoid the boat "pushing" you into an intercestion or what not.

Bottom line is, your boat sounds like it's worth $$$$$$$$$$$ and your truck is worth $$$$$, so, why chance it because it's going to cost you an extra $200 for someone else WITH the liability and capability to tow it?

Having said that, IF, you do decide to do it, would you mind having someone video taping the launch so we can see your **** on "Funniest Home Videos"

Old 07-15-2005 | 04:53 PM
I think your main weak points wouold be the springs and the tires. Then the rear end, brakes and tranny. Then, all the other stuff talked about. You might be able to get away with it, but that is by far too much weight for a f-150.

If you do try it 4low is a must going in and out. Some class D tires, overload springs, and get yourself a big tranny cooler too. I would really suggest trading up to a bigger tow vehicle. my.02

Old 07-16-2005 | 01:05 AM
Winch

what about getting a winch, tie the truck to a tree
lol

Old 07-16-2005 | 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by Sackett
.....IF, you do decide to do it, would you mind having someone video taping the launch so we can see your **** on "Funniest Home Videos"

ROFLMAO!!!

+1

Use that winch too. It will be a riot on TV.

Quick Reply: Probably a stupid towing question