Towing & Hauling

K&N Air Filter.. worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 09:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The paper filter is already flowing as much air as the engine can use. Do you really think Ford would give up easy horsepower by putting in too restrictive of an intake? Not in these days of advertised horsepower wars. Even IF the K&N is capable of flowing more air, the engine can't use it.

Old 06-30-2005, 10:17 AM
Oh sure they do, for noise comfort. They do expect them to be quiet.

Look at the air inlet that goes through the inner fender from the air box. What is that? 1.5"?? Don't tell me Ford is not restrictive. Why then is there so much money by so many people being spent on after-market air intakes?? The air inlet should be at least as large as the throttle body inner diameter or MAF sensor. IMHO is should be larger, not smaller.

You are right, the paper element is filtering as much air as a stock configuration can handle...when the filter is brand new.

Old 07-01-2005, 07:49 AM
I still contend that the K&N FIPK is NOT worth the money. I will concede that you will save a few bucks when you re-use the K&N over paper filter replacement. The question then becomes how many paper filters can you buy for what it costs to buy a FIPK?

The real down side is that some people probably bought the FIPK hoping to get that 2-3 mpg increase that they advertise. Guess what, unless you run your engine consistently in the 3-5000 rpm range, you aren't going to get even 1 mpg increase. Go check out their website and look at the dyno sheets and you'll see what I'm talking about. In the less than say 2500 range that most people run in, the differences between paper and K&N are almost nil.

Does it look cool? Does it look sexy when you raise the hood? You bet! Too bad that's all it is, just for looks.

So to go back to the original question of the thread, is the K&N FIPK worth the money? I vote NO.

Russ

Old 07-01-2005, 12:23 PM
Sexy is a fat wallet stuffed with cash.....

Let's do the math:

K&N............$70-$90 for diesels $40-$50 for gas motors
recharge kit $10

Total cost worst case $100. for 150,000 miles or $60 for gas

Paper element $40-$50 for diesels or $25-$40 for gas

Total cost for 30 filters in 150,000 miles $1200 or $750 for gas

Lets say you bought fram filters for $5.00 each it is still $150.(for a '72 chevy nova) Gas K&N's are cheaper for those too.

If you want to talk warranty void for using K&N, you have a huge battle.

What you will win...money in your pocket......and, no, I don't work or sell K&N.

Old 07-30-2005, 04:24 AM
But.........but............but.............(sarcas m intentional)....

What about all those Testimonials on their website?? 2-3mpg increase was about 70% of the testimonials!!!! (sarcasm intended again)

Can K&N really be pulling off this much of a scam???

Old 08-01-2005, 02:55 AM
Where are you guys buying your paper filters for $25-$40? I get mine from NAPA for $10. If you follow the instructions, it takes the better part of a day to recharge a K&N (drying). I dont have that long to sit around waiting to drive my truck. Now, how much crap is getting on the mass airflow sensor leads? I used a K&N for 60K miles, saw no improvement in economy or power, and got a dirty MAF to show for it. I'd much rather keep an extra paper filter on hand to throw in there on a long road trip. (See "notes from a 10,000 mile trip") You want to feel better about it? Buy a $10 air restriction guage and change your filter when the window turns all yellow, not just by mileage.

Last edited by akheloce1; 08-01-2005 at 02:58 AM.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:39 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If you follow the instructions, it takes the better part of a day to recharge a K&N (drying). I dont have that long to sit around waiting to drive my truck.
That's why I keep a paper filter handy to put in the truck for the day or so I'm letting the K&N dry.....

If you guys bought the K&N (drop in) and look to see gains in mpg and hp, then you will probably be interesed in a product called the Tornado........ Claims the same thing...... ha, ha.....

Sorry, but there is no product on the market that will magically increase both of those figures by just popping it in.... I know that's what the marketing says each product will do, and it does.... In labrotory tests and at rpm ranges that never occur in everyday driving.....

I got the K&N for one reason only.... Not having to replace air filters all the time... I've had my K&N drop in filter for 4 years and over 84,000 miles and it's been just fine. Not a single MAF issue.

I've cleaned it twice in the time I've owned it..... You don't have to clean it when it "looks" dirty.... That's when it is working the best!!

I've had the thing literally caked with dust! Yet, the truck kept running like it was not even dirty...... I pulled the filter and dusted off the excess dust with a brush and added some additional oil (per the instructions for 'operating in dusy conditions')...

The two times I have cleaned it and replaced it with the paper filter, I could tell from a 'seat of the pants' point of view a difference in performance..... Especially when going up hills. The truck will normally hold it's gear and speed when using the K&N. Put the paper one in and the truck will lose speed, so you have to press the pedal more, which then triggers a downshift... This is on the same hill, same speed, only difference is the air filter.....

Now, this is only MY EXPERIENCE with the K&N.... Others may vary, but when used properly, cleaned properly, they do perform better then paper.... Now, I don't claim to any increased mpg or power, but I can tell the difference when the paper one is in, that's for sure.......

Mitch

Quick Reply: K&N Air Filter.. worth it?