Towing & Hauling

F150 trailer wiring

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2005, 01:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F150 trailer wiring

I have a 98 f150 with the 4 flat trailer wire connector. No tow package.

Need to convert to 7 wire and add brake controller (yes I will add tran cooler). I have an adapter to convert 4 to 7 wire but have 3 loose wire to connect. they are brake, power, and aux. Where do I tap into these?

Also will be installing brake controller..sounds like prodigy is the way to go. Is there a connector under the dash for plug and play? Do I need to have a special adapter/connector for the controller?

Old 07-01-2005, 02:10 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have a 98 f150 with the 4 flat trailer wire connector. No tow package.

>> Bummer... ha, ha....

Need to convert to 7 wire and add brake controller (yes I will add tran cooler). I have an adapter to convert 4 to 7 wire but have 3 loose wire to connect. they are brake, power, and aux. Where do I tap into these?

>> An easier way is to get the Ford 7 pin connector and wire harness. Lower the spare tire, look along the drivers side frame rail for the connection point and disconnect the stock 4 pin. Plug in the 7 pin and mount it to the bumper or where ever it works best. Get money back on that 4 to 7 pin adapter....

Also will be installing brake controller..sounds like prodigy is the way to go. Is there a connector under the dash for plug and play? Do I need to have a special adapter/connector for the controller?

>> Pop for the extra $10 when getting the Prodigy and get the Ford wire harness. There should be a plug under the dash (right next to the COM port for the computer link).

You will also need some additional fuses and relays if not already present. These will go in the fuse boxes found under the hood. Your owners manual should have a diagram for the additonal 'trailer' fuses.

Good luck!

Mitch

Old 07-01-2005, 07:13 PM
Listen to the man, he's setting you straight..........

Old 07-06-2005, 02:44 PM
Although Mitch is sending you in the best direction, check out my gallery (link at bottom of signature) if you want the answer to your questions about the way you are doing it now. I had to do a quickie to tow a trailer and didn't have 7-10 days to wait for the wiring harness (thank you stealership). Total cost w/o brake control because I already had it was about 45-50 bucks. I show the wires to tap into in the rear harnes for the brakes and aux power although I didn't run my aux power from there. I already had an extra power line from the battery in the bed so I tapped into that which also means I didn't add the extra relay. (It only sends aux power when the truck is running if you use the regular aux power... I think) The other wire you probably have is for reverse lights which i didn't hook up either because the trailer I was towing didn't have them.

As for the controller, if you have one you can get the connector from several places (I got mine from Uhaul for about 6 bucks) it plugs in under the dash and you just match the wires up (***Be careful to check which wire is which they are not always color coded the same*** learned that the hard way when a friend of mine kept blowing fuses after installing his controler) If you are going to do much towing at all I would pop for the prodigy as mitch said. I tow once a year if I'm lucky so I went for something a little cheaper and to be honest it works just fine.

If you have any questions as to how I did it drop me a line and I will try to answer them for you.

Last edited by WVtrucker; 07-06-2005 at 02:55 PM.
Old 11-12-2005, 11:23 PM
Originally Posted by MitchF150
An easier way is to get the Ford 7 pin connector and wire harness. Lower the spare tire, look along the drivers side frame rail for the connection point and disconnect the stock 4 pin. Plug in the 7 pin and mount it to the bumper or where ever it works best. Get money back on that 4 to 7 pin adapter....
Do you mean stripping the wire and directly connecting the wires to 7 socket? If you meant disconnecting a 4 pin connector from the driver's side rail, I find nothing like that. The nearest connector from the 4 pin has more than 4 wires, about 7 or 8. If I disconnect it, I disconnect both the 4 pin wires and left rear light wires. I don't think this is what you meant.

You will also need some additional fuses and relays if not already present. These will go in the fuse boxes found under the hood. Your owners manual should have a diagram for the additonal 'trailer' fuses.
Does anyone have 97 4.2L auto? Would you please tell me which ones are for trailer towing and amperage? I bought a used vehicle without owner's manual. Thanks.

Old 11-12-2005, 11:35 PM
Originally Posted by WVtrucker
If you have any questions as to how I did it drop me a line and I will try to answer them for you.
I still don't understand how wires are connected. Starting from the socket that is already mounted under the dashboard > mating plug > brake controller > 7 pin connector (brake, one of the 3 loose wires) > trailer. Is this right?

What is the best place to connect the power wire (one of the 3 loose wires)?

Thanks.

Last edited by paker; 11-13-2005 at 12:59 AM.

Quick Reply: F150 trailer wiring