Towing & Hauling

A towing Machine!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 10:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up A towing Machine!!

Well just got back from a 2,000 mile trip to Cape-Cod, than Maine, towing our 4,500 lb travel trailer, and all I can say is AWESOME. We were doing about 65mph i was at 1800 RPMs (OD on). The truck was not "hunting" for a gear. It towed beautifully, i few times I had to check my mirror to make sure the trailer was still there!! MPGs were great too, 10.5 towing. I get about 14 not towing. It was a great trip and love the truck even more now!!!

Old 07-11-2005, 11:32 PM
It's amazing when you don't exceed weight limits and don't expect to get better milage with a trailer how happy people are.

Some would complain.

Be glad you are informed...and therefore happy.

Old 07-12-2005, 01:57 AM
Originally Posted by campinfamily
Well just got back from a 2,000 mile trip to Cape-Cod, than Maine, towing our 4,500 lb travel trailer, and all I can say is AWESOME. We were doing about 65mph i was at 1800 RPMs (OD on). The truck was not "hunting" for a gear. It towed beautifully, i few times I had to check my mirror to make sure the trailer was still there!! MPGs were great too, 10.5 towing. I get about 14 not towing. It was a great trip and love the truck even more now!!!
Tell me more!!!........

I'm thinking about getting a travel trailer and looking for some helpful hints/suggestions. Getting laid off and looking to do some travelling before going back to work or school. What kinda trailer you got? Did yah make any mods to the truck? PICTURES!!!!

Old 07-13-2005, 07:58 AM
Originally Posted by norman311
Tell me more!!!........

I'm thinking about getting a travel trailer and looking for some helpful hints/suggestions. Getting laid off and looking to do some travelling before going back to work or school. What kinda trailer you got? Did yah make any mods to the truck? PICTURES!!!!

We have a Hybrid Travel Trailer, it is a Starcraft Travelstar. It has tent ends, but is completely hard-sided. www.starccraftrv.com we have the 21SSO. Nice big slide-out. No mods to the truck...except a Green Air Filter...will be adding a Airaid Intake tube...............

Old 07-13-2005, 10:07 AM
Originally Posted by campinfamily
We have a Hybrid Travel Trailer, it is a Starcraft Travelstar. It has tent ends, but is completely hard-sided. www.starccraftrv.com we have the 21SSO. Nice big slide-out. No mods to the truck...except a Green Air Filter...will be adding a Airaid Intake tube...............
You had a typo in you post. The right address is http://www.starcraftrv.com/

Thinking about the Stage One performance package from Troyer. But that's a whole other thread.

I don't think we want one with the tent end. My wife and I live in California and will be travelling around during the fall. We're both wimps when it comes to cold weather. We're also thinking we'll sleep in the camper while on the road and definitely want something that is secure. The 21 foot size area is what we're looking at. Starcraft had this 22 footer on their web page. Weights about a 1000lbs more. What do you think??

Old 07-13-2005, 10:26 AM
i like it should pull very nice

Old 07-13-2005, 10:37 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by norman311
... What do you think??
I'm looking at the location of the slide and the location of the door and I'm asking myself....
The slide has to be worked and has to 'worked first' or access to the inside is not possible?

True?

Old 07-13-2005, 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by Raoul
I'm looking at the location of the slide and the location of the door and I'm asking myself....
The slide has to be worked and has to 'worked first' or access to the inside is not possible?

True?
I think your right. That's something to consider. Guess I'm more or less looking for opinions on the towabilty of a 20-23 foot travel trailer and what are the most desireable features. There are hundreds of different models and floorplans.

Old 07-13-2005, 12:42 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I wouldn't want to tow more than 5,000 with my truck unless it was something very aerodynamic like a HI-LO which would increase the acceptable tow weight. My F150 is rated for 8,300 but more than 6,000 would take all the enjoyment out of going.

I have my heart set on 5th wheel traveling when I retire.
I know step one will be a F350 Diesel Dually.

Old 07-13-2005, 01:04 PM
Outback 28BHS

My rig does just fine (with OD off)

It's about 6500# loaded ready for camping

Tell me how to get a picture inserted in here and I'll post one

Thanks,

Sidewinder

Last edited by Sidewinder FX4; 07-13-2005 at 03:17 PM.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by Sidewinder FX4
My rig does just fine (with OD off)

It's about 6500# loaded ready for camping

Tell me how to get a picture inserted in here and I'll post one

Thanks,

Sidewinder
Here's a picture of your model. I think..??

Old 07-13-2005, 01:42 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I tow around a 22', #4500 Prowler Lynx. It tows very nice, compact and has some nice features for only two of us, so no bunks! A front queen bed with storage underneath. Rear bath the full width of the trailer. Huge wardrobe closet back there too. Middle kitchen and dinette. It's got a two door fridge (freezer/refer), Air conditioning, microwave, fully self contained...... Oh, it's got a full width front storage compartment for all the leveling stuff and mechanical hardware.

I would tow it anywhere and not fret at all about the hills. That's with a full water tank too!

Mitch

Old 07-13-2005, 02:44 PM
That's the one, Mitch. I had to get something with bunks--for the little ones, you know.

Don't get me wrong, when we head to the mountains, the F150 knows the trailer is back there. But for 90% of the locations we travel it's all I need.

I still would LOVE to know how to get a picture into the text, though. Can you step me through it?

Sidewinder

Old 07-13-2005, 03:11 PM
Inserting pictures

Go to picture you want to paste in to your post. Right click on the picture and bring up the properties. In this window you'll see the address(url) of the picture. Do a right click ,highlight and copy this address. Go back to the post and click on the little landscape box to bring up the insert picture dialog box. Now paste the address(url) into the box and hit OK. The inserted text will look like this[IMG]xxx address(url) of picture[/IMG]. When you submit your post the picture will then appear.

Old 07-13-2005, 03:18 PM
Oh..It has to be a picture from the web. I was trying to paste in a picture off my hard drive.

I've got it now -- even have a gallery now (for what that's worth)

Sidewinder

Last edited by Sidewinder FX4; 07-13-2005 at 03:24 PM.

Quick Reply: A towing Machine!!