Towing & Hauling

First Official Camping Trip...

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 01:35 PM
DMA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up First Official Camping Trip...

Well, this last weekend, we took the trailer out and decided to go camping. Since we're newbies to the whole travel-trailer thing, we decided to head over the mountain and camp out at a friend's property over in Roseburg.

We hit Santiam pass and, of course, slowed down. Fortunately, after much good advice from all you guyz and galz on the board, I went into it with the attitude of just takin' it easy and we had no problems at all. I believe our slowest speed was around 40 and my highest RPM ran about 3500, but we just kept on creepin' right up and over that pass.

When we returned home, we took Willamette pass and, once again, slowed down. However, once again, we encountered no problems. I even passed a couple of big rigs on the way over.

We took the trailer completely dry, but had stocked it with food and gear. After we made it over the mountains, I stopped through a scale and checked my total weight. The way we were loaded, we ran at about 12600 pounds for the truck, trailer, stuff, and people.

Checked my brakes after arrival and no issues.

During the trip, I watched the temperature and oil pressure gagues and both remained constant...right in the middle with no movement.

All in all, it was a great trip. I'm even becoming quite proficient at backing up that apartment on wheels.

Anyway, just wanted to let all of you know that this s'crew has no problem pulling this trailer pretty much anywhere!

By the way, here's the trailer...

2005 Forest River Wildcat Travel Trailer 25RKS

Old 07-20-2005, 02:53 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Glad you had a great first trip! Sounds like you are pretty satisfied with the performance of the rig. I looked at your trailer link (very nice rig BTW) and was surprised to find that the trailer has a GVWR of over #10000..... While it's 'dry' weight is well under that, and since you have gotten it all weighed, it must still be pretty much way under that, but you are at your max GCWR now (actually, just a tad over your trucks #12500 rating...)

Like you said, as long as you take it easy and don't expect it to perform the same way it does when you are empty, you should be fine. You will want to keep up on the maintenance of all the fluids rigorously and make sure you air up your tires to their max COLD psi when towing.... Also, watch what else you may find yourself packing into the trailer over time.. I know when I weighed my rig, it was after it's first trip. While I had it loaded up with a full water tank and all, I have since added a bunch of other necessary camping items, so I'm sure I'm a bit heavier now then when I originally weighed....

During the trip, I watched the temperature and oil pressure gagues and both remained constant...right in the middle with no movement.
Bad news for you here.... All that did was tell you that you did not exceed the preset temp and pressure ratings for those gauges.... Just 'cause that temp gauge did not move does not mean the temp stayed at a nice 195* the whole time. On those long climbs you were in second gear, pulling 3500 rpms your engine temp was probably closer to 210* or more. That's still a very acceptable temp and nothing to fret over, but it does mean the engine is working harder then it does when you go to the corner grocery store.. The oil pressure gauge is the same way. It will basically show 'normal' as low as 10 psi...

For most people, the stock gauges are all you need. They actually have 'idiot' lights next to each gauge too, that will come on when something is out of it's spec'd range. All I'm saying is don't lull yourself into thinking the engine is not working hard when you don't see the stock gauges move... If you do want to see actual flucuations in gauge readings, you will need to get some aftermarket ones and you will be surprised at how much they actually do move! If you go that route, get a trans temp gauge too.... Since you are towing at your trucks max ratings, it will either show you that things are fine, or scare the heck out of you!!

Good luck!

Mitch

Old 07-20-2005, 03:29 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by dmallen
...During the trip, I watched the temperature and oil pressure gagues and both remained constant...right in the middle with no movement....
That tickled me right good.
I wasn't laughing at you.
Just that Ford knew what they doing when they designed the dash cluster.

It reminds me of the movie 'A Few Good Men' with Jack Nicholson...
"You want the Truth?...You can't handle the Truth!"

"Ford gauges" = "Idiot Lights on a Stick"

Old 07-20-2005, 03:31 PM
DMA
Okay.

Going to check out a 3-gague pillar cluster. Beside the tranny temp gague, which other two would be best to get with that one?

Also, would re-gearing make any difference? I'm 3.55 now and have looked at moving to 4.10.

Thanx.

Old 07-20-2005, 03:56 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by dmallen
...Going to check out a 3-gague pillar cluster. Beside the tranny temp gague, which other two would be best to get with that one?...
If I was getting three,
besides the tranny temp I'd get the two that are already there and just 'lights on a stick'.
Engine temp and Oil Pressure

Regearing would make a difference.
Serious tow packages in the Super Dutys have the 4.10 gear.

Old 07-20-2005, 08:02 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If you were to do those things, I'd do what Raoul suggests above......

I thought about an oil pressure gauge, but at the time all I was thinking about was the temps......

Going to 4.10's from your 3.55's AND keeping the same size tires will increase your revs about 300 rpms. That will rev the engine a bit more, but it will be a tad bit easier on your transmission......

I've got the 3.55's, but my trailer only weighs #4500 and my GCW is only around #10300 or so when I'm all hitched up and ready to roll. Knowing how mine tows with my trailer, 4.10's would be the only way to go with your rig!

Mitch

Old 07-20-2005, 10:07 PM
I've been towing a similar rig (5600# dry) with 3.55's and haven't had any problems. Of course we don't have the mountain grades in FL like you do in OR. I haven't done any temp gauges yet, but I probably should.

I would tow it dry as much as possible (that's what we do) and fill up with water somewhere close to your destination. I know in parts of Oregon that's hard to do, but to lessen the abuse on the tow vehicle... The 4.10's would definetely help take some preasure off the transmission. Then you could probably pull with water in without much issue. It sucks that they did't put the 4r100 tranny in the f150's as a standard thing. My Expi has it though It woulda made things better for towing.

Things that add alot of weight: just so you're thinking about it
Extra people
water/holding tanks
generator(s) w/gas
misc camping gear (cast iron frying pans for instance)

Quick Reply: First Official Camping Trip...