Towing & Hauling

Question re:3.73 vs 3.55 axle-looking to buy 05 F150

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 04:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MitchF150
Yeah, that's pretty much the trail I'm on when I'm heading East.

To sum up, all that "tow rating" does is let you compare towing capabilities between the different makes and models... To realistically think you can get that truck and then get a trailer that weighs that much and hitch it up and still remain under all your other weight limits is not likely to happen....

I'd much rather be maxed on GVWR then GCWR anyday.... That's where I'm at now, and my truck has 145,000 miles on it and still going strong. Tows really well too, because I'm not towing something that outweighs my truck! Can you imagine what towing a #8900 trailer with a #5100 truck would be like??? Which rig is going to control who??

Mitch

This arguement doesnt hold water...You'll see countless F350's trucks hauling Fifth wheels over 10,000 lbs and are under the GCVW,GVW and GAWR. The trucks are obviously ALOT lighter than its trailer, on a similar note a new F150 weighs more than a chevy 3/4T! Keep in mind it wasnt long ago that the vehicle of choice for rather heavy travel trailers was the family station wagon. Id rather see a careful driver in a half ton on the highway over his rated tow weight than a gung ho guy with a Powerstroke who thinks he owns the road.

Last edited by snownyet; 07-27-2005 at 04:21 AM.

Quick Reply: Question re:3.73 vs 3.55 axle-looking to buy 05 F150