Towing & Hauling

Weight Station Actual Numbers

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 08:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weight Station Actual Numbers

I went camping this weekend in Amherst Nova-Scotia, and I stoped in at the NB-NS border weight station since there were no trucks in line I thought it would be a good time.

This was only a weekend outing so I was not loaded to the gills, so on a 2 week trip I would carry a bit more Food, Clothes and wood. Maybe 150 to 200 lbs more roughly.

My Trailer is rated a 4800lbs UVW (Dry Weight)

Heres a Picture:

And the Scale report:
Front Axle 3240lbs
Rear Axle 3660lbs
Trailer 5380lbs

Total 12280lbs

Now just the truck axles came in at 6900lbs with the trailer attached. I Know that part of this is the Hitch tongue weight I'm guessing about 500lbs and that should be added to the 5380lbs for the actual trailer weight. But it still counts in my trucks GVWR

Anyway, It is supprising at how fast it all adds up when you look at the REAL Numbers. It still pull great and drives easy.

Dpostman

P.S. I know that I'll probably get some remarks at how I'm not within the 20% below the Tow Ratings, and all that, But sometimes it feels that if we all went to the extreme safety margins that float around here, we'd all be pulling Tent Trailers with F350s

Old 07-25-2005, 10:56 AM
Do you have a WD hitch on that? The trailer might be putting more weight than 500# onto the truck wheels.

Hey, I'm probably heavier than you, so I'm not gonna crack about weight ratings. :o

Old 07-25-2005, 12:19 PM
Originally Posted by ViperGrendal
Do you have a WD hitch on that?
Oh Yaaa. I had a WD Hitch even when I pulled My Prism 2700lbs Ultralight.

dp

Old 07-25-2005, 01:39 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yeah, it's a nice little 'wake up call' when you pull your rig across some scales for the first time!!

I was shocked the first time I did that too.... Never thought I'd be maxed out on my trucks GVWR with my little trailer hitched up.... I've got a #550 tongue weight, so I'd say you are a bit more then that.... Probably closer to #700 if I had to guess.....

While I'm maxed on the trucks GVWR, I'm way under the GCWR (~#10,300 actual GCW)

Anyway, just keep the tires pumped up (you do have LT rated tires, right... ) and keep the fluids fresh and all should be fine.....

Mitch

Old 07-25-2005, 10:53 PM
Now think of the guys that want to tow 10k with the f150.....

Old 07-26-2005, 07:29 AM
Well, for tires, I have Brigestone Dueler Revos but only the P series :o but I do keep the rear ones to 35lbs when towing. The load index is 113S, that translates to 2535lbs, Assuming the rear axle's weight of 3660 is evenly spread to both sides that's only 1830lbs per tire.

As for tongue weight. I have no hard numbers to verify, but just estimating by subtracting the weight of all the cargo including passengers from the truck from 6900lbs, and the last weigh in from my truck alone the last time I went to the Dump (5550lbs) I get just shy of 550lbs. The way my trailer is set up may have someting to do with it. Bed is up in front. Fresh water tank is sitting under the floor in between the Axles. The Kitchen area (Fridge and stove are directly over the Axles. And also the all important Beer Storage under the Dinette bench is right over an axle. I also have the Black and Grey water(was about a 1/3 full) way at the back. It should be easy to weigh the tongue if I could find a scale able to take the weight and just set it under the Jack plate and raise the front. I don't think my wife would like me to use our Glass bathroom scale.

As a side note, our secretary here at the office was telling me that she went trailer shopping last weekend to trade in their current trailer. She was looking at a Gulf Streem Prairie Schooner 34ft Fifth wheel. Whils I was looking at the pamphlet, I pointed out the 11 500lbs DRY weight ,and asked her when her hubby was planning to trade his F150 with the 305 in it. She says well maybe next year or the year after, after we got the new trailer mostly paid off I then suggested that they take a real close look at the numbers, and that a new F250 would be maxed out just moving it around locally a few times a year on flat terrain, and that once they retire in about 3 years, and want to travel, an F350 is what they really need. But not to think for a minute that they can even move it with his current truck. I can't remember what year (I think 95) but I know it has the 5L (305) (I think).

Dpostman

Quick Reply: Weight Station Actual Numbers