Towing & Hauling

Can I Tow????

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 01:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I Tow????

I have a 1997 F-150 2wd extended cab with the 4.6 v8. My brother just bought a 24 foot camper and i was wondering if i could tow it with my F150. All i know about the camper is that it is a 1987 and it has two axles. I woudn't be haulilng it regularly. It would be about 150 miles towing it home though. I know that i would need to hook up a hitch and all that but was just wondering if I should do that i just rent a U-Haul. Thanks

Old 07-27-2005, 05:23 PM
Will it tow it.....sure it will.
Should you tow it.....probably not.

After buying a reciever, having it installed, getting a 2 5/16" ball and the correct drop, then having it wired and buying/installing a brake controller, it will be cheaper to rent a u-haul.

I'm most sure that it will tow it. How far? Across the street, around the house. If you look at the lightest axles for trailers you're looking at 3500#, now double that and you have 7000#. That is if those axles aren't 7500# axles, which would make it 15,000#.

My neighbor had a 26' double axle bumper pull RV that squatted his '02 Super Duty. That would just flatten any 150.

Of course it's your decision.........

Old 07-28-2005, 11:21 AM
Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Rent an equipped truck to go get the camper.
Your's will pull it but is the cost to do it able to be passed on to your brother for his truck?
You need the following.
1. Brake controller.
2. Extension mirrors.
3. Ball and hitch for the correct loaded height. If your truck sags badly then weigh distributuion hitch is needed. Big dollars extra.
4. Safty chains.
5. Power connecton/wiring for trailer lighs and turn signals/ electric braking.

Old 07-28-2005, 01:01 PM
Without really knowing anything about your truck or the trailer I would say rent a rig to pull it.

Properly equiped (tow package, WD hitch, brake controller...) your truck might pull it if the trailer is around 5000# or less.

Try finding out how much the trailer's dry weight is. There "should" be a sticker inside one of the cabinets somewhere that has that info. If the trailer is under 5000#, has a tongue weight less than 500#, and you have a brake controller you might be able to do it as long as there's not a lot of big hills to be crossed (don't want to overheat the tranny if you don't have a tranny cooler).

If you're not going to be pulling this trailer on a regular basis (what's your bro gonna use?), I would say rent a tow vehicle for this once.

Old 07-28-2005, 01:36 PM
My bro has land on the lake and just wants it for there. I said build a camp but oh well lol. Anyways i asked because the guy claimed he hauled it everywhere with an F-150 but claims he didn't even hook up anything. Like no lights brake controller. He said he just had his wife follow him. I was just wondering because i thought he was full of bull. Thanks for the replies. We are going to rent a U-Haul to get it up here. After it gets here i will get more info on it and then decide whether i want to touch it with my truck. Jason

Old 07-28-2005, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by ViperGrendal
If you're not going to be pulling this trailer on a regular basis (what's your bro gonna use?), I would say rent a tow vehicle for this once.
I tried doing that here in PA, and nobody had such a thing available. If it was 3/4 ton or bigger they simply didn't have a hitch or brake controller installed. Liability issues I think. Do they do it regularly in FL?

Dave

Quick Reply: Can I Tow????