Towing & Hauling

Tuner or Scangauge

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 10:15 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tuner or Scangauge

Hey everyone,

I just picked up my boat yesterday and it has a dry weight of 3200lbs plus the 1200lbs for the tandem axel traler and then all my goodies..

Anyways the truck pulled it just fine, even up the very steep grades we have here in southern california.

I was just wondering what you though would be the first thing to get for my truck, a superchips 1745 tuner, or a scangauge..

I dont have enough money to get both right now so thats why im asking...

do basically is this load big enough that i need to worry about watching my trucks status (scangauge to read temps, ect.) or should i got for the extra drivability and not worry about my truck as much...?

thanks,

Old 08-01-2005, 01:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In my opinion,

It is always good to monitor truck status while in use. The sooner you are aware of a problem and can handle it in some form the better. Waiting until the idiot light comes on, strange noises eminate from under the hood, or copious amounts of smoke or fluid comes out the back is a bad thing. Personally I will be going the scangauge route rather than pod gauges. That way I can look at anything and everything while underway.

The supertuner is a waste of money EXCEPT for being able to firm up the transmission shifts.

It sounds like you are within the limits of the truck so I would opt for the scangauge first. Also, I would run the truck and boat across a scale to verify the weights rather than guess.

Russ

Old 08-02-2005, 02:36 AM
i weighted my truck, it came in at 6300.

However i cant take my boat to a scale. the scale i weighed my truck on was at the city dump, cant take my boat there to weight it lol.

Old 08-02-2005, 10:21 AM
6300#'s... I had no idea those trucks were that heavy. What did it weigh stock without the lift (which by the way looks great )?

Old 08-02-2005, 02:09 PM
nope i didnt.

But my truck weighed #6260 with just under 1/2 tank of gas, only me in the truck, and my truck in its current state (Lift, stereo). its a 4x4 supercrew too though.

Old 08-04-2005, 11:39 PM
Doesn't the new Xcal2 do everything a scanguage does????

Quick Reply: Tuner or Scangauge