Towing & Hauling

Mods useless for towing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 01:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mods useless for towing?

I've a 98 150SC 4.6 4r70w 3.55 ls all stock with 107K miles. I towed nothing more than a snowmobile trailer when I purchased the truck, and for this it's been more than adequate. Recently I've begun to tow larger loads (boat and small rv), and of course this really pushes the rig as outfitted above. I'm thinking diesel, but I'm thinking this is $$$$$ and I am 200% happy with the F150 other than when towing a heavy (for this truck) load. I've used my Dad's F350 4.10 Pstroke dually for the same loads, and of course it was a dream.

Of course it occurs to me I might be able to add a few boltons to the 4.6, slow down, and live with the smaller motor on those occasions when I do tow larger loads (some are getting to be many thousands of miles) - at least until I can afford a newer diesel. Other forums (eg engine) tout mods to the F150 V8's that will significantly increase torque and horsepower, but in my limited perusal of the towing forum, several members seem to suggest the mods (intake, chip, exhaust, etc.) aren't worth it.

The truck is mechanically as perfect (I think) as a truck with 100K+ miles can be; I've owned it since new, changed oil religiously (Mobil 1 since oil change #2) and tranny fluid a few times, and it runs great. Cosmetically, it's about 70%. Its a truck and has been used as such ... no parking lot 4X4 queen here ...it ain't gonna be worth much to trade or sell (besides, I like the truck!).

I'm thinking if I could get another 40/40 hp/tq everything would be hunky-dory.

Also, if fluid temps are monitored religiously, and premium synthetics used, how hard can I reasonably expect to run the 4.6 and 40r70w for hours on end?

Incidentally, I was thinking of dual exhaust, perhaps headers (shorties give more torque?), fipk, professionally tuned chip, tranny temp gauge with big new trans cooler, and perhaps manifold vacuum gauge. I think I can do this well (shadetree) for $2-$3K. I think to get a good towing diesel I'd need my truck and at least $10K.

What would you all do?

Patiently awaiting the forums response, GLW

Last edited by 98blu4by; 08-27-2005 at 11:54 AM. Reason: correct diff ratio
Old 08-03-2005, 07:27 AM
Where to begin..

First off, as long as you aren't loading past the specifications AND the truck is mechanically sound then there is no reason why it shouldn't be able to handle it.

I frankly don't know how you are going to get 40 more hp without spending some very serious green. I can't speak to the exhaust as I don't have any experience with it, but the FIPK isn't worth the money and the chip will net only mediocre gains for the money.

A tranny cooler and gauge is always a good idea and the vaccuum gauge will give you an indication as to how heavy your right foot is.

I would stick to the 150 if it is doing the job especially if you can borrow a bigger truck for the occasional larger load. That smaller engine will probably net better fuel mileage when not towing and that's always a plus.

Russ

Old 08-03-2005, 11:26 AM
Althought the desiel would be ideal, as long as you don't have too large of loads you could always step up to the 5.4. There is a big difference there if you ask me. Good luck.

Old 08-04-2005, 12:49 PM
Go over to the chips & programming forum and read some of the post. I just ordered an Xcalibrator2 from troyer performance and it is a huge difference.
Call Mike at Troyer performance he can get you the 40 hp and 40ftlbs.
Get his stage one kit. You will be happy you did.

Old 08-04-2005, 01:40 PM
In my experience with a 4.2 V6, the FIPK only adds power at high rpm, like above 3000. Would be of very little use for towing.

On the other hand, the Superchip adds substantial low rpm and mid range power to my truck. I don't care if it adds 0 hp at peak rpm since I rarely drive there. But for me, the chip really shines between 1800 and 3000 rpm. Takes noticeably less pedal pressure to keep up with traffic. Improved shifting, too.

Old 08-04-2005, 05:51 PM
just tag a turbo on the front end of that

does anybody make a turbo kit for the f150?

Old 08-05-2005, 01:33 PM
yeah turbo !

Machgt - I was wondering the same thing but hadn't found any sources for turbos in the US ... tha lag would be no big deal, economy at high manifold vacuum and lots of power when it spooled up ... the superchargers run all the time as a direct function of engine rpm, right, so I'm thinking it'll kill economy (towing is a minority use) ... but a turbo ... like a powerstroke ... hrmmm

Old 08-07-2005, 12:06 AM
You realize that a supercharger can add 60 +/- HP to your rig?

Thats 60+ hp at all times with no lag. Although, you are looking at roughly $3500 for a supercharger.

So, my "two cents" is to find/use the diesel for your big towing duties. And if that becomes impractical, you might consider investing in a 250/350 diesel.

The biggest question that needs to be answered is, ARE YOU GOING TO BE HAPPY? You and your family are the ones who will need to "deal" with the consequences.

good luck and be safe.

Old 08-08-2005, 09:41 PM
mods for towing?

I think most in here will agree. Mods can make a little more comfort in some real RPM ranges. But mostly go by what the specs are on your vehicle. If you tow on total flat ground.. Florida, SC coast, etc. you will not notice as must difference with pulling a little heavier load than you are use to. I live in NC and pull my Travel trailer in the NC mountains with a 02 F150 5.4 Lariatt FX4 with 355LS. Dry trailer 4200lbs, total weighted @ around 5100lbs. Pulls well in moutains or to the beach. If you over weight what your vehicle is made for, no instant mod drop-in will do anything worth the money. I would look at the terrain and weight. If you are towing over 5500lbs with a 4.6 NO mods going to make it feel better go with the F250 Diesel or big V-8

Old 08-27-2005, 11:58 AM
Found the solution!

... in the form of a '91 F350 SC 2wd dually 460 4.10 ls ... for a couple bucks more than it would have cost me to mess up my F150 ... best 'O both worlds now ... oh, it has 86K original miles and is clean as a whistle

Quick Reply: Mods useless for towing?