Towing & Hauling

high mileage 5.4 f150

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 01:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
high mileage 5.4 f150

I just started looking for a truck that I can use for occasional towing or otherwise a daily driver. I have an 01 mustang that I want to tow to the track a few times a year and make the occasional 6 hour trip with on a flat trailor.

I'm looking at a 97 5.4L f150 for $5750 but it has 150K miles and was wondering if I may run into dependability issues if I occasionally tow with it.

If I go take a look at it, what should I look for?

Thanks!

Old 08-03-2005, 02:26 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Mine has 146,000 on it and I tow a #4500 travel trailer about once a month. I've owned it since it's had 62,000 miles on it so I know most of it's history....

I've replaced the alternator, one coil pack, IAC, rear U joint since I've owned it. Plus the regular maintenance stuff of course.

Really depends on what kind of life it's lead and it's maintenance schedule. I'd look over the usual stuff. Watch out for "too clean" of an engine compartment... Might be just a nice detail job, but could also be hiding it's past too.....

Check from top to bottom and look for anything that's just wrong or out of place. Pull the air filter, check the brake fluid, PS fluid, oil and trans, coolant, etc..... Oh, if you can see up thru the front wheelwells, check the exhaust manifold studs.... Especially on the rear ones... Might find that they are not there! (yes, I have a couple missing on mine.......)

While everything might be in good shape and it runs well, it's getting up there in miles, so any OEM part is probably ok and could go another 150k miles or poop on you the next day.....

If it looks good, offer like $5,000 and see what happens!

Good luck!

Mitch

Last edited by MitchF150; 08-03-2005 at 04:30 PM.

Quick Reply: high mileage 5.4 f150