Towing & Hauling

Towing Capacity

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 04:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Towing Capacity

I purchased a new ‘05 F150 work truck. A regular cab, 4.2L V6, manual transmission, long w.b. with a 3.31 axle. I didn’t expect it to be a pulling giant but was disappointed that rated towing capacity was only 2,200 Lbs. That is less that half of the “standard” Class-3, 5000 Lbs of most ½ ton trucks. In comparing the V6 with 3.55 axle with automatic & annual transmission the manual transmission version is de-rated by 30%, from 5000 Lbs. to 3500 Lbs.

What is the limiting factor? Why is the manual transmission rated so much lower than the automatic?

Old 08-08-2005, 08:11 PM
Because its not a real truck???

Old 08-08-2005, 08:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mathteacher88
Because its not a real truck???
LOL

I just spit coke on my monitor.

HAHAHAHA

Back on the topic though, I dont have any clue why the manual transmission can't tow that much.

Last edited by -TXF150-; 08-08-2005 at 08:18 PM.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to the site Wyouger! You will find all you need to know on here and probably a few things you dont! Sounds like you bought the basic model with the base drivetrain. I'm sure it will be a great truck if you remember it just isn't equipped for heavy towing. One reason for the lower rating is the truck itself is much heavier this year. Congrats and good luck.

Old 08-08-2005, 08:22 PM
For towing, your entire drivetrain is wrong. You bought a V6, manual trans with a 3.31 rear axle

Just for grins check out a Ranger 4.0, 5sp auto tow rating & compare with your truck

Ford derates the rating for a manual trans because they don't trust you with the clutch, especially with a 3.31 rear end.

My new Lariat is a 5.4, auto with 3.73. The tow rating is considerably higher than yours.

One thing a lot of people overlook on a Lariat is Ford derates the tow rating 500# for the 18" wheels. It's all in the fine print if you read enough.

Old 08-08-2005, 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by Newt
Ford derates the rating for a manual trans because they don't trust you with the clutch, especially with a 3.31 rear end.

Ford's done this for years...I once asked (when looking at one of the early Super Duty's) why the ratings were so low for manual trannies, the salesman told me it's because real towing rigs use automatic transmissions for strength...I told him to try to find a real automatic tranny in an 18 wheeler...

Bottom line, it must come down to Ford not wanting to be sued because someone doesn't know how to use the 3rd pedal. They're working on the brake and gas pedals now...

Old 08-08-2005, 09:13 PM
A lot of people make the mistake of buying the truck first, then the trailer. Buy the trailer first, then the proper truck to pull it. Another thing people do is buy on price. Your truck is what we sometimes call a loss/leader. Its cheap. It is not a tow machine. Your truck is for light hauling, and hwy mpg.
The limiting factors are v-6, manual trans, and your tall gears.

What do you need to tow?

Old 08-09-2005, 01:17 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Welcome to f150online.com! We're glad to have you aboard...

I'm going to move this down to the towing and hauling forum so that it may be better addressed by the folks that frequent that forum.

RP

Old 08-09-2005, 08:34 AM
V-6

Hi,
I have a 1999 Ford 150 V-6, 3.55 rear and a manual transmission. I pull a 4500lb trailer with it. It is rated for 3400lbs but I pull it anyway. I have driven on a four hour trip with it and have had no problems. When climbing I do gear down but it is wise to have a running start. Everyone say I am crazy but I am still pulling it after two years. The only problem I have had is when backing there is only one gear that makes backing weak for the clutch. Recently I tried backing my camper up a small hill and the truck would not do it. I was burning the clutch. But on flat land I do well and get about 11mpg. Just be careful when pulling that weight and mindful of the clutch. I know some people will say I am crazy but I just keep on pulling.

Old 08-09-2005, 09:02 AM
As was mentioned, The clutch is the weak link in a 4 or 5 speed manual transmission. When moving heavy loads, the clutch will have to slip a lot to get a trailer moving forward or backwards when parking causing premature failure of the Clutch, and Ford does not want to be responsible for that under warranty.

As for 18 Wheelers, well, 1st gear is so low that there is much less slipage cause it can be fully engaged and still going to slow. Plus a 16 speed automatic tranny might be on the high priced side

Many other V6 equipped vehicles are rated for higher towing 'cause the vehicle is much lighter.

I know this doesen't help you out any, but it might help to explain why.

Dpostman

Old 08-09-2005, 09:31 AM
Smile Thanks

I know my work truck was not a great hauler. I’ve got a ’94 F350 4X4 Crew Cab for that. I was just curious as to why the manual transmission was rated so much lower than the auto. I thought it was the clutch & was hoping it wasn’t the tranny. After having the auto in the F350 rebuilt 3 times & my Ranger manual replaced the first week I owned it I was hoping for better reliability in the new manual.

Thanks to those who were helpful.

Old 08-09-2005, 10:07 AM
Originally Posted by troymeaux
Hi,
The only problem I have had is when backing there is only one gear that makes backing weak for the clutch. Recently I tried backing my camper up a small hill and the truck would not do it. I was burning the clutch.
On most manual transmissions, reverse gear is 'taller' than first gear. Basically, you can go faster in reverse than 1st, but its a bad gear for pulling a heavy load up a steep hill from a standing start.

Old 08-09-2005, 11:08 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Unless you have a 4x4 this is not going to be any good, but since I do, I know it makes a huge difference while backing a heavy load up an incline... I put it in 4lo to back my trailer into it's parking spot at home.

I've got an automatic, but after I put in my trans temp gauge and backed it up my trans temp shot up to 210* really fast.... Ever since, I've been using 4lo and the temp does not rise at all. Makes it easy to manuever too, because you don't have to give it hardly any gas at all to make it move.

I should mention that my incline is on gravel, so that makes a difference because I have to turn the wheels full lock while backing...

Mitch

Old 08-15-2005, 04:10 PM
Not bought for towing

Originally Posted by suncoast ford
A lot of people make the mistake of buying the truck first, then the trailer. Buy the trailer first, then the proper truck to pull it. Another thing people do is buy on price. Your truck is what we sometimes call a loss/leader. Its cheap. It is not a tow machine. Your truck is for light hauling, and hwy mpg.
The limiting factors are v-6, manual trans, and your tall gears.

What do you need to tow?
This is not my first truck. I own a ranger-4cyl-man.-short bed & a F350-7.5L-Auto-4X4-Crew Cab-Long Bed. I didn't buy this truck for towing. I bought it because it was cheep and good on gas. My question was one of curiosity as to why the manual transmission trucks were de-rated in comparison to an equivalent automatic. As I stated in my question, “What is the limiting factor? Why is the manual transmission rated so much lower than the automatic.”

Old 08-15-2005, 07:32 PM
The problem is suppost to be the clutch. It can be upgraded, if it wears out. However, the trany itself isn't built all that well either. It's very notchy and some grind going into different gears and the slave cylinder can fail quickly. Which requires the tranny to be dropped. That being said I have a '97 with the 4.6 V8 145,000 which is rated for 3.500(about) and I have done nothing but changed the oil twice. I tow 2000 lbs regularly and have towed a few thousand miles with about 5000 lbs. including across the PA turnpike and it did fine. So to sum up, I wouldn't worry too much, odds are it'll hold up fine.

Quick Reply: Towing Capacity