Towing & Hauling

What's the better OD on/off for towing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 06:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's the better OD on/off for towing?

I'm going to be towing a uhaul 1,000 miles with my new V6 F150 (auto). It does not have the trailer package but this will probably be the only time I tow anything with the truck so I'll be putting a tow ball in the bumper. No trans cooler except the stock line in the radiator.

As I understand it heat builds up worse when the torque converter is not in the lockup mode. Does the torque converter lock up when you disengage OD with the button? With OD on I think I can feel the torque converter unlocking going up hills even in 4th. Of course eventually it downshifts to 3rd but I don't know if the torque converter locks up when it downshifts or if it is only solidly coupled when cruising in OD. If it doesn't lock up in 3rd am I better off leaving the truck in OD most of the time? I would still plan on disengaging it going up the major hills.

Old 08-19-2005, 06:50 PM
I believe the general consensus is, if the trans in jumping between 3rd and OD, lock off the OD. If it isn't hunting for a gear, leave it alone. Most people do not see a MPG change either way towing. I believe the owner's manual states not to use OD while towing, but towing is relative. Put 1500#'s in the bed and you're not towing, but I would probably turn off the OD for hills.

Good luck...hope this helps....

Old 08-19-2005, 08:10 PM
Ditto what Colorado Osprey said.

Old 08-20-2005, 08:24 PM
Thanks. I guess I should read the manual. What a concept!

Old 08-21-2005, 01:07 PM
It's amazing what is in that little book nobody reads.

I am writing a book on auto service and I can't tell you how many times peoples questions are in that little book.

Quick Reply: What's the better OD on/off for towing?