Towing & Hauling

Bumper towing

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 08:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bumper towing

I have a small camping trailer, 17 ft, 2800 dry weight, I would like to tow off the bumper (rated 500/5000). The issue I have is the bumper height, will be about 4 inches higher than needed. Is it a problem to tow like that? thanks for any input. Would like to save some$$ and not have to buy a new hitch.

Old 08-20-2005, 08:36 AM
hey rmills. I dont think you would be leagal here the the great state of NY. But you have to check with an RV shop. I would think the only other problem would be the angle at which you would enter and possibly scrape the trailer bumper. I know when i got a trailer from uhaul and used the bumper it would scape when going into lowes. I know i like haveing the hitch on my truck makes hooking up eaiser also. Oh i forgot to mention i had mine installed at cole muffler. not sure if you have them in the Syracuse. They installed it in under an hour here and were the cheapest. They beat out uhaul by about 75 bucks.

Last edited by nditech; 08-20-2005 at 08:39 AM.
Old 08-20-2005, 08:49 AM
Wow, thats quite a price difference! Do you remember what you paid? We have both here and have been shopping just in case. While I have the attention of a fellow NYer, did you go with rust proofing?

Thanks

Old 08-20-2005, 08:55 AM
No unfortunately I can’t remember since it was not to long after I got the truck. I want say it was like 300 with tax. I did got with the rust proofing.

Last edited by nditech; 08-20-2005 at 10:51 AM.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:12 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Assuming the trailer is under the rated capacity of the hitch, no you should not have a problem with legality.

That being said, if it's a tandem axle trailer, it may exhibit some poor handling characteristics. If it's fairly high-up, as was already mentioned, the trailer rear bumper may drag on sharp inclines like driveways. That could damage any leveling hardware if it's not adequately protected.

A new hitch is around $130 from U-haul (less on Ebay) and a dropped drawbar (if you still need it at that point) is around $30 at Wal-Mart with the ball. It's a worthwhile investment if you have any intention of towing regularly.

-Joe

Old 08-22-2005, 03:00 PM
If you're going to be towing it regularly I would suggest getting a hitch. If it's a once a year type thing then it would probably work ok as long as you don't put too much tongue weight on it.

Like stated above, if it's a tandem axel it might drive wierd. If it's a single it shouldn't be as bad. Trailers travel best when level though.

Old 08-22-2005, 07:19 PM
I would also check how the trailer tongue is against the bumper, if it is sitting right on it you could have a problem. As long as the ball is far enough back on the bumper you should not have a problem. As stated above, I would only use this for a limited amount of time as possible. A trailer that rides level will ride much better and the cargo will be much more secure.

Old 08-24-2005, 06:41 PM
Thanks to all, looks like I will go with a hitch. Will have the truck for awhile, might as well make the investment.

Thanks again, this is a great forum!

Rick

Quick Reply: Bumper towing