Towing & Hauling

Daystar and towing

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 08:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Daystar and towing

Was wondering if putting a Daystar leveling kit on my 05 F150 would affect the towing of my 30 foot camper. Any info would be helpful.

Old 08-24-2005, 11:26 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The 'primary' reason for the factory "rake" of a truck is to allow for the payload capacity and the amount of 'sag' the rear end will have if it's maxed out. That way, the head lights won't be pointing into the sky (and into oncoming traffics eyes).

With a properly setup WD hitch and you are not exceeding the trucks GVWR when you do hitch up, regardless of the length trailer you have, it should 'level' the truck out at that point, or bring it back to it's 'unloaded' heights.

All the leveling kit does is bring your front end up 2.5" or so and that makes the truck 'level' when it's empty....

A 30' travel trailer is going to have around a #800 tongue weight at the minimum (probably more however) and that, coupled with the leveling kit will make it harder to keep the rig level when it's all hitched up.

I'm not saying it 'can't' be done, but you will have to have the perfect setup to get it level again, once it's all said and done IMO...

My truck runs pretty much level (I cranked up the front bars just a tad...) When I hitch up my #550 tongue weight trailer, it drops about 1" in the rear and raises the front about 1/2". After I set my WD hitch, the back is at it's original rear end height and it actually drops about a 1/4" in the front (I'm almost getting too much WD... )

The rig tows very well and no hint of sway. All I'm using is a standard WD setup with no additional 'sway controls'... Works fine for me, but my trailer is only 22' from bumper to coupler and weighs #4500 wet....

Good luck!

Mitch

Old 08-25-2005, 11:48 AM
It'll be fine, especially with the air bags. I tow a 5th wheel with my 04 150 that has a 2.5 leveling kit and air ride bags.. tows like a dream.

Old 08-26-2005, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the info. I am still trying to dial in my WD hitch after putting the airbags on. Not the easiest thing to do.

Quick Reply: Daystar and towing