Towing & Hauling

Help me pick out a ATV trailer please

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 01:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me pick out a ATV trailer please

TOW VEHICLE: 2000 Expy / 4wd/ 5.4/ Heavy duty rebuilt E4OD tranny + factory tow package.

I am having a trailer built to haul my ATV's. Its going to be a 8 X 14 deckover that loads from the rear via an expanded metal drop down gate. I am stuck on 2 things though. Should I run a single or tandem axle and should I run trailer brakes controlled by an incab controller (Ie. Tekonsha Voyager/Prodigy)

Trailer is going to weigh 1000-1200 depending on how I configure.
4 ATV's weigh 500 each totaling 2000 lbs.

My longest drive to a riding area is 40 miles. The shortest and most frequently used area (70-80% of the time) is 5 miles away. I have six large riding areas to choose from inside the 40 mile radius.

The single axle no brakes trailer is $ 1450

Same trailer but with tandem axles and brakes on one axle is $2300. I do not have a brake controller in the cab of expy so that would be an additional expense as well. I am guessing 200-250 to have a Tekonsha Prodigy professionally installed.

http://www.voyagertrailers.com/8x14_...rearloader.htm

http://www.carsontrailer.com/subs/tr...ngle_axle.html

http://www.carsontrailer.com/subs/tr...two_axles.html

Would appreciate your input.

Old 08-25-2005, 07:49 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why so much more for tandem axles and brakes? It shouldn't cost that much more.

What kind of materials is your builder using beucase 1000 pounds sounds light for 8x14? I have a 6.5x12 single axle landscaping trailer made from angle iron and 2x6 wood for the deck. It weights 1100 pounds.

If you'll only be using this trailer for short trips and quads, single axle no brakes is fine. I wish I had gotten a tandem, though becuase I keep coming up with reasons to haul heavier things that I cannot do.

Prodigy is $100 and installtion is 15 minutes that just about anyone can do. No need to pay for professional installation if you decide to go that route.

Old 08-25-2005, 07:49 PM
A trailer that big, I would go for tandem. I am sure a trailer that size you can haul anything and if you didn't do the tandem, you probably be kicking yourself for not doing it. Good luck.

Old 08-25-2005, 08:15 PM
I paid $1300 for an 18' car hauler with 2ft dovetail and brakes.

the brakes are worth it! although i haul heavier loads, it is really sweet to have that trailer slowing me down as opposed to lifting the rear end as I make a "hard stop" for some idiot in a Honda.

Tandem axles might help distribute your load in a more desireable way.

good luck.

Old 08-25-2005, 09:16 PM
3000lbs and you're asking if you should have brakes?

When you get tags for it you will have to dictate the weight rating of the trailer since it is home built. If you are found on the highway over GVW on the trailer, welcome the very large and obnoxious tickets.

I believe, (don't have specs in front of me) that DOT says if it has 2 axles that both need brakes. A lot of trailer's are illegal and it is the owner's responsibility to be legal, not the manufacturer. In addition to brakes you will also need a break-a-way too. This activates the brakes if the trailer comes off the vehicle.

+1 on the Prodigy and install. Cake.

Good luck.....happy trailering and ATVing............

Old 08-28-2005, 06:12 PM
Colorado Osprey,

You feel Brakes and 2 Axles are the way to go then?

APT,

I was using the weights supplied by my local trailer mfg (sturdy bilt inc). They use tubular steel throughout. The other mfg (voyager) uses "C" channel steel and angle iron. They have it at 1160 lbs on their site. Sturdy bilt has a lot model they want to get rid of they have it at $1300 for a 8x14 single axle, no brakes, no ramp, fir plank deck. I can add a ramp for $150. If I have them build a trailer it is $1600+ $150 ramp+ plus second axle which includes brakes for $500= $2250.

Thanks for the input.

Old 08-29-2005, 07:42 AM
APT
Do you live near Milwaukee? That's 3 hours from Elkhart, IN.

I bought my 6.5x12 single axle from MSI Trailers. It is a US Cargo brand. All tandem axle open trailers come with brakes on one axle. Call up MSI as I'm sure they'll beat your prices. I paid $765 for my trailer 2 years ago.

Old 08-29-2005, 12:19 PM
APT,

Thanks for the lead. I am going to call them, maybe they have outlets in the west. I live in Redmond, Oregon so I am about as far away as you can get from them. In my search I have noticed things are a LOT cheaper in the midwest/east coast areas. A co-worker recently moved back to Kentucky since she found it so expensive on the west coast.

Thanks again....

Old 08-29-2005, 01:37 PM
APT
Sorry about that. I quickly looked up Sturdy Bilt and found it in Milwaukee, WI.

I'd call up a few of these places before custom ordering anything.

Trailer World not far from you
99West Trailers
Contact this guy too!

I would expect a 6.5 or 7x16' tandem axle utlity similar to mine to cost $1500-1800 w/ brakes.

Old 08-29-2005, 02:46 PM
ATV Trailer

I just ordered a trailer for work to haul 1 ATV on. We got a Big Tex 5' X 10' with 1 foot added to the height of the sides. We have to park the trailer overnight at motels sometimes with the ATV on it, and thought the extra foot would be added security. It has a 4 foot expanded metal ramp, and a pressure treated pine floor. I looked at several cheap models that did not have the treated floor, and came with used tires, and odd ball sized wheels and tires. If I were getting one your size, I would go for tandem axel and surge breaks on both axels, pereferably with dexter toro flex independent suspension axels. Electric brakes may work better, but we tow this trailer with several different trucks and do not want to have to put controlers on all of them. I have found that surge breaks when properly adjusted work real good.

Quick Reply: Help me pick out a ATV trailer please