Towing & Hauling

What's the most you have towed?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 01:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's the most you have towed?

FNG here with a feeler question.

I just got a 2005 F150 XLT Super Crew, 5.4L, with the Class IV tow group, 3.73 rear gear. I'm using that convert-a-ball cushioned draw bar deal with a 4 in. drop inverted to a rise (rated at 10,000 lbs MGTW) and using a 2 5/16 10K ball towing a 7K load on a dual axle aluminum Road King trailer (boat) and a smaller 19 ft boat as well.

Just went from a 100K mile, 01 Dodge XLT Larmaie Quad with the 5.9L with the class III/IV tow group, standard receiver and ball. This truck towed the load from NC to Fla and everywhere in between for the last 40K miles.

After researching and bouncin the spec's, I decided the Ford was stronger, so instead of stayin loyal, I switched from Dodge to Ford.

To cut to the chase, I think I made the right choice and after towin the boat now 3 times since we broke over the 1,000 mile break in on the truck, I have to say, I'm impressed.

I know what I'm towing, but was wondering, what all do you folks tow and what's the most you've ever towed with a similar set-up?

Also, does anyone use the equal-i-zer weight distribution hitch that's compatible with trailer surge brake systems? I feel for towing to the coast or the local lake I'm fine, truck handles/stops great, but if I tow to Fla (which we do alot) the only WD hitch I see that's surge brake compatible is the Equal-i-zer... any suggestions/ideas?

Anywhoo.. great forum and look forward to participating! (especially if any of ya fish! )

(Here's a pic of the rig)

Old 08-28-2005, 02:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hello FNG Dave, welcome!

As with most questions of this type, the experience and capabilities of the driver are as important (if not more important) as any specs or ratings of the equipment. I've towed massively excessive loads with several different trucks and never had issues, even though I knew it would only take one moron slamming on his brakes in front of me to create a real crisis.

Trailer brakes helped the stopping problem, but not the see-saw issues when driving over uneven roads. And if I loaded enough tongue weight to eliminate the fishtailing, then the truck handling suffered because the nose of the truck was aimed skyward. At that time I wasn't familiar with load leveling hitches (besides, they looked like something my Grandfather would buy) so I went the route of beefing up the rear suspension on my trucks. My typical routine when buying a truck would be to have a leaf added to the rear suspension, and then add overloader springs that would only kick in once the truck was loaded down by about 2-3 inches.

Beautiful boat you have there. Looks like a real nice setup. If I ever owned a boat that size then I couldn't see going with anything other than a center console.

Old 08-28-2005, 02:24 PM
Roger that

I have the same way of thinkin on that. This is boat #5 that's been yanked down the hwy... so we got a little time in on towin (i.e. to Mass/NC/SC/Fl/VA) doin charter, get together and tournement stuff, annual fishin trips and of course fishin with family and friends local

I did forget to mention, the trailer has SS disc brakes.
Of course the trailer manufact. flip'd and said, OH NO WAY for a WD system for the boat trailer, and the parts supplier (Tie Down systems) for the trailer folks at Road King didnt even want to get into it... they just up an said "nope, wont work".

All four tires on the truck are on the ground, the trailer is about as balanced as it can get and has a tongue weight of just a nick short of 500 lb.s, but the GCWR for the boat/trailer is 7,030 lbs. (of course depend on how empty that 150 gallon fuel tank on the boat is...), so I feel I'm ok without a Weight Dist. system... but... long distance towin, I think I'd feel better at highway speed with a WD systm. but I dont really know.... As mentioned, I towed this rig with the Dodge and the Dodge did it, but, he he,,, that poor Dodge... her *** drug the ground pretty much. I feel the Ford's 3 inch wide springs make a difference, the Ford only squats, like you said, 2-3 inches (15 inch at rest no load at the top of the draw bar, and just over 12 inches from the ground with trailer hook'd on the ball).

Just curious, this is really probably the max load that I will pull with this truck, if we move up to the 29 Scarab when Foot-i-tus disease hits... then I'll probably move up truck size as well to the F250.

Never even X-d my mind about load helpers on the springs to reduce that 2-3 inch squat... For the most part with the 4 inch drop inverted, the surge system and trailer are level, the ball on the draw bar sits just a nick lower than if it was mounted directly to the bumper and the overall load is fairly level, but that's a great idea to possibly slap on a 500 lb or so leaf helper spring.. Any suggestions on those??

Thanx for the reply, just wonder'd what folks were pulllin with their rigs.....

Center Console,, yeah, that's the way to go... Look'd at Walk-Arounds,, but they just take up too much deck space... Lookin at my boat, you wouldnt realize it's got a 2 person sleeper cabin in the helm, great for overnightin on the lake.

Old 08-28-2005, 06:34 PM
It's been years, but I went to a local independant shop that specialized in (big) truck springs and alignment. It's common for big rigs to occasionally break a leaf spring. There are shops around that will pull the leaf pack, replace the broken spring, restrap the leaves and put everything back together. Then they do a 4 wheel alignment. For me they simply pulled the rear leaf packs, added a big fat extra leaf in the middle and restrapped/ reassembled. I forgot the cost but I want to say it was $200 and that was back in the late 80's. I think it gave my '88 F150 an extra 750 lb capacity and made the truck sit almost an inch higher.

Old 08-28-2005, 06:41 PM
There are also plenty of bolt on add-a-leaf kits available now, as well as inflatable bag systems. A few guys on here who have used the bag systems for towing campers have spoken highly of them.

Old 08-29-2005, 12:18 AM
I've towed atleast 15K with mine
Wasnt good on the truck but it did it with no problems.

Old 09-09-2005, 01:37 PM
For what you are towing, I wouldn't recommend spending the dough on a WD hitch setup. Go with the helpers if you feel you need them.
What I would recommend is a sway control system for those long 4 lane jaunts. Basically, what it is: small 1" ball mounted to the side of your existing hitch, another ball mounted along the tongue of your trailer, and a sliding bar mounted between the two. While towing, the bar is all but clamped together tight, thus eliminating sway in relationship to vehicle and trailer. Whenever your turning, backing, manuevering, etc, you flip a lever and loosen the clamp or take the bar off alltogether.

Old 09-11-2005, 01:42 PM
14,560 lbs - rear axle and trailer. The scale was not long enough to accomodate the front axle.

The truck pulled the weight without problem, but the load would push me around if I was not careful. In addition, the max safe speed was 40mph.

I will never pull anything that heavy again (with my truck) but I am very pleased that the truck is capable of this exhibition of power!

The truck is driven daily and still gets 17mpg.

Good luck and be safe!

Old 09-12-2005, 11:03 AM
14,000 lbs???? that's your Gross weight?

Oops, sorry I just scrolled down and noticed it was a half-ton in your sig. I've had over 16,000 just in (live) cargo behind my 97 ton. Too bad the 05 ton won't handle it. Such a shame these new trucks won't do what the old ones with half a million on the clock can still do...

Old 09-13-2005, 04:33 PM
My '04 Super Crew has towed aprox three different trailers in it's liftime to date.

First one was a simple one place snowmobile trailer hauling my Quad.

Then, we stepped it up a bit and hooked up a 24' Sprint Car trailer behind us and went racing. Hauled great. No problems. Figure with the car, trailer, tools, spares, crew, and beer we were around 7,500 to 8,000 pounds.

Now, updated trailer to a 28' trailer w/ living quarters (Toy Hauler). Trailer dry comes in at 6,800#. Loaded with either the Quads or racecar and everything else.... we're uping the weight big time. Have not had a single problem, truck pulls fine (yes, it's working a bit!) but I feel nothing but comfortable with the setup.

Only mods to the truck have been reprogramed computer, air intake system and some very minut rear spring upgrading. Luckily - my place of employment.... a Ford dealer - so everyone has been very helpfull and mindfull of what we're pulling w/ the truck. Plus... got some good race fans here too.

Have always used a Weight Dist. setup and sway bar on both big trailers. And some killer brakes.

Old 09-14-2005, 11:24 AM
Wellcraft Dave will probably appreciate this one. One of my jobs is working as a mechanic at a marina. That means I tow all sorts of stuff on short notice. The biggest thing I've towed so far with my '05 is a 35' Fountain (with twin 525's) on a Myco double axle trailer. Figure roughly 13 grand with the trailer.

Do I recommend doing this? NO! Did it work? YES! You don't want to get in trouble with that kind of weight behind you though. Our Super Duties do a much better job with this kind of load. Kind of nice to see how (relatively) well an F-150 will do in a pinch though.

Old 09-22-2005, 10:53 PM
Hell of a load there 2Stroked,
30+ ft Fountain is a "no-joke" boat (i.e. the displacement weight)

Ha ha haha.. man, would love to have seen that. Bet them front tires barely touched the ground. You'd think that boat woulda sat on a triple axle trlr, but if yer just movin it around the yard.....

Hey I'll tell ya what. I've towed the boat now a dozen times and have to admit, pretty impressed with the F150. Pull's great (usual RPM's w/OD off on the Hwy at 60 mph are at about 2,700-800 rpm's) and she seem's to chug along just fine. Does very well at the boat ramp, never an issue of gettin the boat out of a steep ramp at Jordan lake (pull's without spinnin tires). And the ride is much better than what I had with the Dodge.

If the F150's set up right for towin, it does a very good job. Agreed though with others that if towin "all" the time a 250 series would be a good way to go.

What I'm impressed with most on the new F150 is the thru member'd and welded frames and the attachment of the frame and hitch assy. Now that I've had the convert-a-ball cushioned draw bar in action now, I like it too, takes out alot of the trailers clinkin and clackin from the surge brake action and seem's to help keep the trailer brakes from a hard lock up on a quick stop.
Pulling away from a stop sign or red light when it turns green, the draw bar also eases them hard clanks as well. Night and day difference from the standard type draw bars.

Whoo.. 35 Fountain.... wonder how much that'll cost to "fill up" at the pumps!!! Mines only got a 150 gallon tank, couldnt imagine fillin up what that there Fountain could hold!!! :o

Old 09-28-2005, 11:16 AM
Wellcraft Dave,

Actually, both front tires were firmly on the ground. Better yet, I towed the boat approximately 30 miles from our marina to a boat show last February. (No snow on the ground though!) That gave me the opportunity to pull right into the local convention center and back it into into position. I was pleasantly surprised how well the truck handled the load. It looked pretty good too!

Old 10-19-2005, 11:16 PM
Got you all beat with this one. I had 73,000lb behind my 86 Ranger with 2.9 V6 one time. You wouldn't believe the people that gathered to watch that one. Wish I'd had the camcorder with me that day. My buddy the Chevy man would have died.

It was a semi loaded down with steel beams that got stuck in a sinkhole in the parking lot at work. I made a bet that I could pull it out. I walked away with $50 in my pocket and a truck driver shaking his head in shame behind me.

On your knees before my Ford power

Old 10-21-2005, 10:19 PM
The most I've towed in my f150 V6 4x2 was my friend's 2004 V8 Silverado. Actually, come to think about it, I've towed him about 3 times already.

Quick Reply: What's the most you have towed?