Towing & Hauling

Do I need an aftermarket tranny cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 12:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do I need an aftermarket tranny cooler?

I own a 99 4.6 liter 4x4 scab. I am going to be towing a uhaul trailer from CT to Ohio. I was wondering if i needed a tranny cooler. I'm not sure if my truck has the tow package on it. What i do know is that on the sticker, it lists a "6250 lb. GVWR" package, but the truck didn't come with a hitch. I don't know too much about towing, but I wan't my tranny in one piece when I get to ohio. Do I need the tranny cooler?

Thanks!

Old 09-05-2005, 03:00 PM
You leave out too much info

U Haul makes a lot of different size trailers. How much are you anticipating towing? Are you going to be towing in the mountains or mainly flat ground?

Old 09-10-2005, 01:46 PM
4.6 towing?

Need more info for a informed response, but. The trai ler weight is the big part, along with how your truck is set up... If I towed ANYTHING over 2,000lbs Id have a transcooler period. you run a trans hot, ( want have to again ) seals will bake like a pound cake in a oven..

Old 09-10-2005, 03:19 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you have a manual trnas, there is no cooler. If you have an automatic, you already have a primary cooler. All 97-up Ford trucks with autos have an oil to coolant trans cooler integrated into the radiator.

Assuming you're not planning on towing any more than the rated capacity, a cooler is not necessary. That being said, an auxiliary cooler is never a bad idea. It's not possible for the trans fluid to be too cool.

-Joe

Old 10-10-2005, 08:01 AM
WDP
PMAZ if all you have is the in rad cooler get a large B&M stacked plate cooler. I have a 96 Explorer and installed an aux filter with a temp gauge. I was shocked at the fluid temps at 233*, no towing, no Grand Prix racing. That is with synthetic fluid!! Some will say that is the hottest point post converter not the actual tranny temp, but as the fluid goes-so goes the transmission. The cooler droped the temps 40* and the tranny shifts and behaves much better. Even if you never tow again you have doubled the life of your transmission. A well spent $60 or so. IMHO.

WDP

Quick Reply: Do I need an aftermarket tranny cooler?