Towing & Hauling

Helper Spring Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 11:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Helper Spring Recommendations?

I'm looking at adding a set of helper springs to my 2000 F150 4x4 w/ 5.4L.

Does anyone have any Recommendation of brands/models? I've been looking at Hellwig Progressive Rate Helper Springs.

MitchF150 I believe this is what you have? They appear to be pretty simple to install... Did you go w/ the 2500 lb or 3000lb capacity? Where did you get yours from? and at what cost? So far I've only seen them in JC Whitney; however, I haven't really started shopping around, yet.

Old 09-09-2005, 03:49 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've got the 2500's and bought them at a local 4x4 shop for $150 + tax. Install was about 30 minutes and that included having to assemble the leaf packs on the bench first. Then they just bolt onto the stock leaf springs. Didn't even need to take the tires off. To initially set them, you just jack up the rear end so the axle hangs and set the tension on the U bolts.

Mitch

Old 09-13-2005, 11:30 PM
Thanks Mitch.
Did you have to buy a seperate 'hardware mounting kit'? Sometimes the vendors list it as needed, other times it says all hardware included.

Old 09-14-2005, 02:14 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The mounting kit was included in the price, but it was in a separate box......

I never understood why the mounting kit was always separate in the catalogs... Like you are going to buy the springs and not mount it?

Old 10-12-2005, 12:07 PM
Why not go with an air bag? Then you can get the assist when you need it and not suffer the ride penalty when you don't need it.

Old 10-12-2005, 11:03 PM
Originally Posted by acadianabob
Why not go with an air bag? Then you can get the assist when you need it and not suffer the ride penalty when you don't need it.
Because of the price.

After looking at both Hellwigs and Roadmaster Active Suspension, I went w/ the Roadmaster - mostly because a store on eBay sells them for $145. The best price I could find for Hellwigs was $180, and most places sell the Roadmaster for $219+. I got them yesterday, and I *hope* to get them put on this weekend.

The Roadmaster is not suppose to harshen the ride, but it also suppose to act like a sway bar, without the drawback of loosing articulation.
Roadmaster Active Suspension

I'll report back after I get them installed.

Old 10-13-2005, 02:14 AM
I am enjoying the RAS. I have the XX version (3/4 and 1/2 ton version) on a very lite setting. If I put it at max setting it lefts my rear ~1.5" and seems a little stiff.

RAS seems like the perfect answer decreased sag when hauling or towing lite to moderate loads--and better handling loaded or not. Before the RAS, I would hit a highway bump everyday on the way home from work that would swing my rear pretty good, but now truck just holds the road and keeps straight.

If you are going to be doing frequent heavy hauling or towing, seems like airbags may be a better option to keep rear level with front, just a little expensive.

Pic of the RAS is in my gallery. I have 2.5 autospring, and you should be able to tell that rear is slightly higher than front due to the RAS.

Old 10-17-2005, 05:59 PM
Old 10-17-2005, 08:50 PM
I got the RAS installed yesterday - took me about 1.75 hours, but that was from opening the box to getting everything put away and a quick test drive. Seems to have firmed up the ride slightly and I'm guessing raised the back end at least an inch. It also seemed to help reduce rear sway under normal driving conditions.

I'll have my trailer hooked up this weekend and I'll see how well it works with a load on.

Old 10-22-2005, 01:29 AM
I put firestone ride-rite air bags. They max-out at 5000 pounds . were easy to install, but limit your offroad capability(unless you deflate them completely) also you need to deflate them if your truck is lifted from the frame or else you can tear them by over-extension. I like them very much, and have really improved the ride and handling. as well as allowed me to put heavier loads withou the rake effect.

Old 10-22-2005, 10:33 AM

Quick Reply: Helper Spring Recommendations?