Towing & Hauling

can i haul all this..??

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 08:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation can i haul all this..??

hi... im new here cause i never had a question before... anyway... i am currently serving in iraq... so answers are hard to come by over here... so pleeze help me if ya can... i own a 1994 f-150 4x4 reg cab v-8 automatic w/ od... i have found 2 nash metropolitans i want to purchase... 1 runs... 2 doesn't... i live in east tennessee and the cars are in oregon (appr 3200 miles)... can i safely tow/haul both cars without doing damage to my truck... ?? im gonna try to put one in the bed and tow the other on a trailer... the met is 61.5 inches wide... my wife measured our bed with a liner and got 61 inches... which of course is too narrow... can someone give me the exact width of the bed without a liner... if it wont fit i can always pull the fenders, doors, etc off the met... the mets weight 1900 lbs each... will my truck handle this... ?? it is just a stock 4 wheel drive p/u truck :beer... any info is appreciated... thanks.. !! steve

Old 09-13-2005, 09:38 AM
2000#'s in the bed is a load even for a 1 ton dually. 2000#'s on a trailer is ok for a toyota hi-lux pick-up. So one on a trailer is fine. One in the bed is probably a bad idea, expecially considering how far you want to travel.

Consider trailer brakes, a larger trailer, and both cars on a single trailer. 4000#'s in cars and 2000#'s in a trailer totalling 6k#'s should still be ok if you take it easy.

Do you have the tow package? If not, you will need to wire for the trailer, install a brake controller, get a class 3 or 4 reciever hitch as well as install an auxillery transmission cooler. As it is getting closer to fall you will probably not need a larger radiator, just keep an eye on the temp gauge.

Good luck....thanks for serving from us all.....

Old 09-13-2005, 11:57 AM
I don't think there is a good way to make it work with your truck - MAYBE if you strip 500 lbs. of doors, etc... of the parts car and put those in your bed,then get a trailer to haul the good car and the rest of the parts car. A ball park weight for a trailer that can haul 4,000 lbs. of car is about 2,500 lbs (a sturdy trailer is not going to be light).

I would look into flying out to Oregon, renting a truck and a trailer for the one-way trip. If you can find a way, drive the good car into the truck, then roll the hulk onto the trailer. Probably won't get much worse mileage than your 4x4 and can safely haul the weight.

Old 09-13-2005, 11:44 PM
No - you can't haul one and tow the other. Maybe tow both, but it wouldn't be very pretty through the mountains. Your equipment is starting to get prety old and towing that weight w/ your truck could trash the tranny, depending on how you drive.

You have a couple of options:
1) fly out there, rent a uhaul or something similiar and tow both back
2) find a buddy that has a SuperDuty and is willing to road trip it w/ you
3) reward yourself for your dedication to your country and your selfless act by buying a new SuperDuty when you get back.

I vote for #3 (what else are you going to do w/ all the tax free hazard pay and awesome savings accounts that you're set up with?)

PS - thanks for being over there and welcome to the boards!

Old 09-14-2005, 12:02 AM
you could rent a big truck and put them in the back of it budget box truck and drive all the way home and then you would have no probles. just would have to make sure that would be able to tie it down

Quick Reply: can i haul all this..??