Towing & Hauling

Will my v6 pull this?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 10:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will my v6 pull this?

I'm moving from NW Florida to Oklahoma City next week, around 900 miles total. My truck is a 1998 regular cab long bed with the 4.2 V6. It has 67,000 miles. Is it safe to pull my 18 foot car hauler with a small project car on it (Triumph Spitfire with no engine or trans), as well as a full sized Harley in the back of the truck? I would estimate the weight to be 4500 pounds. I have the correct hitch for towing and new brakes all around. I've towed this much weight around town before, but never long distances. My other option is to have the trailer pulled by a 26 foot moving truck that is fully loaded. Thanks for any advice...

Dave

Old 09-22-2005, 10:50 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Auto tranny? What gear ratio?

You'll be unhappy with performance from the V6. I'd keep the wear and tear on the rental truck.

Old 09-26-2005, 08:12 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by spitfire
I'm moving from NW Florida to Oklahoma City next week, around 900 miles total. My truck is a 1998 regular cab long bed with the 4.2 V6. It has 67,000 miles. Is it safe to pull my 18 foot car hauler with a small project car on it (Triumph Spitfire with no engine or trans), as well as a full sized Harley in the back of the truck? I would estimate the weight to be 4500 pounds. I have the correct hitch for towing and new brakes all around. I've towed this much weight around town before, but never long distances. My other option is to have the trailer pulled by a 26 foot moving truck that is fully loaded. Thanks for any advice...

Dave
I have a 1999 4.2 V6 and I have pulled a 4500lb camper 350 miles to New Orleans and it did fine. By the way I was there two days before Katrina I left and made it home but Rita got me. Everyone is fine just alot of damage.

Old 09-26-2005, 08:39 PM
Suspended
Your ok...But your automatic is getting a work out, I doubt you have a tranny cooler on a v6...I would put on a tranny cooler as a preventative step and tow with the OD off..IF you have a 5sp, I still wager you would be ok...

Quick Reply: Will my v6 pull this?