Towing & Hauling

Towing Question...Need Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 05:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towing Question...Need Help!!

I need to know if my 2000 F150 w/4.2 v-6 (Supercab) will tow a 28'long by 8'6"wide trailer weighing around 5500 lbs.? I wont be towing this setup but about once every couple months for a wkend trip. The trailer im looking at is by Fleetwood, has a pop up camper and room for up to 4 atvs(only have two). Also the dry tongue weight is 980 lbs., will I need to get a frame hitch also or can the bumper handle this? Thanks.

Old 10-02-2005, 09:44 AM
Bumper not!

Class 3 reciever hitch....nope...not even.

Class 4 or 5 reciever...yes.

Class 4&5's are usually on Super Duty's

The Class 3 reciever is limited to 500#'s of tongue weight.
So the answer is no, you should not do it. Is it capable of towing the weight, yes, but not with your current set-up.

Old 10-02-2005, 12:32 PM
Im assuming you have an automatic transmission.

The 4.2 Supercab with the Automatic was only made with 3.55 rears in 2000 according to this web site im looking at. The 4.2 Supercab was only available as a 2 wheel drive???

So if all of this information is correct. Your maximum towing capacity is 5500 pounds.

If thats what your trailer weighs empty, I would say NOOOOO

By the time you add fuel, supplies, 2 atvs, and passengers, You will be way over weight. I also think an 8'6" wide camper is going to cause a lot of wind resistance and drag.

If you decide to tow it any ways PLEASE do the following 2 things.

1. Get a frame hitch.

2. Get a HUGE transmission cooler, I dont think the 4.2's come with any thing but the little cooler in the radiator. If your going to pull all of this, You absolutely need to get an external cooler. If you dont, you better bring lots of extra gas for the ATV's, cause that what you will be driving home.......

Old 10-02-2005, 09:48 PM
Just like your mothers and teachers have always told you: You can do anything you put your mind to! Would I do it? Hell no. Maybe once down the street or something, but not long distance. And especially not with a V-6 or the stock bumper as your hitch. It'll make your bumper look like a modern art masterpiece. I'd look for a smaller trailer or a bigger truck, whatever fits your budget. Remember, if you think the truck is slow now just wait til you throw 7000 lbs (+/-) behind it. If you do decide to do this, at least get trailer brakes! Even if you go with a smaller trailer, get trailer brakes!

Old 10-03-2005, 09:36 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No F-150 should be towing traditional toy haulers.

To tow more than 5000 pounds, you need a class 3/4 hitch with weight distribution.

Old 10-04-2005, 04:38 AM
So if I go with a class 4 rated at 1200 lbs weight distributing hitch setup, also with elctric brakes, and an external trans cooler, I could do it. Its about 70 miles to the place I will be towing to to ride my atvs maybe one wkend every other month. And the 5500lbs. is fully loaded not dry weight.

Old 10-04-2005, 07:21 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What's your rear diff ratio? Automatic or manual tranny?

Old 10-04-2005, 11:38 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you do all of that stuff, you might be able to tow that much, but you'll be well over the recommeded maximum load from the manufacturer. Do you really want to temp fate that badly? Besides, that poor V-6 is going to have its little tongue hanging out after the first hill. I would strongly recommend against trying it, but that's just my opinion.

Quick Reply: Towing Question...Need Help!!