Towing & Hauling

Can 99 F150 4.6V8 Pull 19 Ft Travel Trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 10:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can 99 F150 4.6V8 Pull 19 Ft Travel Trailer?

I'm thinking of buying a Mallard 19 Ft Travel Trailer. I've got a:

1999 F150
4X4
Super-cab
4.6L V8
Automatic Transmission
16 in. wheels
3.55 ratio (I think)
Truck GVWR 6250 lbs
Front GAWR 3400 lbs
Rear GAWR 3550 lbs

The truck manual lists:
GCWR 11,500 lbs
Maximum trailer weight 6,600 lbs

The travel trailer lists GVWR 5,600 lbs and is about 22 ft total length. This is a relatively small travel trailer. Do you'all think I can safely pull this trailer?

I will need to install a brake controller. Sounds like the Prodigy is the way to go. What about a tranny cooler? I'm also looking at getting a stabilizer hitch.

Currently I'm pulling a pop-up trailer. Its a breeze to pull the pop-up. No problem on the mountain passes - I drop the speed and gear down. I live in the Rockies so moutain passes and long hills are the norm.

My 1st concern is the safety of my family, 2nd is not burning out the truck. I'd appreciate any input!

Old 10-03-2005, 12:26 PM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You won't win any races, but your truck should be fine. Do you have the OEM tow package? That includes a tranny cooler. Certainly use a WD hitch of some kind.

Old 10-03-2005, 04:11 PM
Thanks APT. No I don't have the towing package. I was just talking to a guy at the dealer and he didn't seem too hot on adding a tranny cooler . I think I would just for the piece of mind.

The truck is rated for 6,600 max. trailer weight and GCWR of 11,500. My best guess is I'll be towing 4,800 - 5,000 lbs with the trailer packed and have a GCWR around 10,800. I can see it being slow going, but I don't want to ruin the truck!

Old 10-03-2005, 05:22 PM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At least add a tranny temp gage, but I think it would be a good idea to ahve that tranny cooler. too. From what i understand, they are not expensive or difficult to install, but i've never done it myself.

Old 10-04-2005, 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by F150TG41
I'm thinking of buying a Mallard 19 Ft Travel Trailer. I've got a:

1999 F150
4X4
Super-cab
4.6L V8
Automatic Transmission
16 in. wheels
3.55 ratio (I think)
Truck GVWR 6250 lbs
Front GAWR 3400 lbs
Rear GAWR 3550 lbs

The truck manual lists:
GCWR 11,500 lbs
Maximum trailer weight 6,600 lbs

The travel trailer lists GVWR 5,600 lbs and is about 22 ft total length. This is a relatively small travel trailer. Do you'all think I can safely pull this trailer?

I will need to install a brake controller. Sounds like the Prodigy is the way to go. What about a tranny cooler? I'm also looking at getting a stabilizer hitch.

Currently I'm pulling a pop-up trailer. Its a breeze to pull the pop-up. No problem on the mountain passes - I drop the speed and gear down. I live in the Rockies so moutain passes and long hills are the norm.

My 1st concern is the safety of my family, 2nd is not burning out the truck. I'd appreciate any input!
I live at the Jersey shore and we have 1000s of travel trailers and boats constantly up and down the roads around here. I've been amazed at the large sizes of boats and trailers that I've seen half ton 4x2 pickups hauling.

Years ago my brother-in-law and I towed his 27' walk-around cuddy through the mountains of eastern PA with his F150 4x4. It was very slow going in lower gears to make the climbs. And the mountains of eatern PA are nothing like the rockies.

A word of caution if you have electric brakes on the trailer. Years later my same brother-in-law was following us in our motorhome. He had a new F250 deisel 4x4 pulling a fifth wheel camping trailer. We were going up those same eastern PA mountains when I looked in my mirror and saw nothing but tons of smoke behind me and him coming to a very fast stop. It turned out that he had the excess light/brake cable laying in the bed of his truck. That excess cable eventually slid out of the pickup bed and onto the ground. That resulted in the road wearing away the cables insulation, exposing the wires and throwing on the electric brakes of his trailer which he no longer had control of. It was a miracle that there wasn't a catastrophy with the amount of traffic on the turnpike that day. Him and his family were shaken up pretty bad.

Old 10-07-2005, 02:00 PM
Your Truck will be fine:

Do's
-Regular Maintenaince
-Install Tranny Cooler
-Get WD (Weight distribution) Hitch
-Brake controller is a must.
-Keep the trailer holding tanks empty and fresh water tank to a minimum (for side road emergency flush use)

Don't's
-Use Overdrive (My opinion here)
-Try to keep 70mph going up hill

All will go well

Dpostman

Old 10-08-2005, 10:19 AM
19 ft travel trailer W/ 4.6.....

Well the length is no issue for you, and with a Trans cooler and electric brakes, You will not have a stopping issue either. The only issue you will have will be power.

I have a 02 FX4 Lariat 5.4 with 3:55LS Tow Package. I pull a 27ft FlagStaff dry weight 4,200lbs with total loaded @ approximately 5,100lbs.

I pull in North Carolina and in the Mountains once in a while. I have never had a problem at all with the load. It pulls exceptional and I have a plenty of power for the grades. Although I definitley know I am pulling a camper on the grades.

I am not sure what your LOADED weight would be, but if you end up at 6,000lbs, you will have your hands full if you pull in the mountains. On flat coastal areas you will not notice to bad of a pull. Flat grades dont test your truck to much.

If you have any plans to upgrade to a 5.4, you would definitley feel the relief and the 355 gears are ok, but 373's would help your pulling power alot.

Besure to look at you total WEIGHT! not just the weight of the trailer. Wife , kids, all supplies. If you go over 6,000lbs in adding this up.. dont do it.

good luck

Old 10-08-2005, 10:22 AM
Yeah, WD hitch and a tranny cooler you'll be set. Oh and the trailer brake controller of course.

Quick Reply: Can 99 F150 4.6V8 Pull 19 Ft Travel Trailer?