Towing & Hauling

Upgrading Ford F150 for travel trailer

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 02:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upgrading Ford F150 for travel trailer

We currently have a 4.6L, 3.55 gear 1997 Ford F150. Our travel trailer weighs ~5300lbs packed. The truck pulled fine from the rv dealership about 30 minutes away on relatively flat ground. However, we want to be able to go through the mountains here in Virginia and really don't feel comfortable doing that in the current truck. Would *upgrading* to a 5.4L a couple of years newer help or should we consider something else totally? I understand about vehicle weights and GCVW -- I just want to hear from people who are pulling with F150s and what their performance is like. We really don't want to give up our Ford. And if we upgrade the vehicle, we are limited to about $15K, tops. Thoughts, opinions, comments?

Thanks!

Old 10-03-2005, 05:07 PM
A 5.4 with 4:11 rears. Virginia has some pretty nasty hills, and thats just the interstate.

If you plan on pulling that trailer alot, you might want to consider stepping up into a used F-250 with a deisel. It will pull easier, last longer, and probably save you a lot of fuel $$$$.

How ever, since you already have the F-150 and the trailer, you should try taking it for a short test drive before you decide.

Old 10-03-2005, 10:26 PM
5.4 pulling...

Originally Posted by 5-happycampers
We currently have a 4.6L, 3.55 gear 1997 Ford F150. Our travel trailer weighs ~5300lbs packed. The truck pulled fine from the rv dealership about 30 minutes away on relatively flat ground. However, we want to be able to go through the mountains here in Virginia and really don't feel comfortable doing that in the current truck. Would *upgrading* to a 5.4L a couple of years newer help or should we consider something else totally? I understand about vehicle weights and GCVW -- I just want to hear from people who are pulling with F150s and what their performance is like. We really don't want to give up our Ford. And if we upgrade the vehicle, we are limited to about $15K, tops. Thoughts, opinions, comments?

Thanks!
I have a 02 F150 Lariat FX 3:55 LS 5.4L. I pull a 27ft FlagStaff Travel trailer loaded @ approx. 5,100lbs. I pull in the North Carolina Mountains all the time, Black mountain, Marion area, Asheville, Etc. I have never had a moments problem. From the Beach to the Mountains, 5,100lbs is a comfortable pull. You will be find if you upgrade to a 5.4 with :3:55 or 3:73 Gears. No more than 5,800 loaded at max. If you stay around 5,500lbs with the 5.4. You can carry 5,500 lbs fine.

If you ever plan on upgrading to over 6,000lbs, that F-150 5.4 will not handle over 6,000 in the mountains, not comfortable. But, if you are planning on staying around where you are.. go with the 5.4 with the tow package.

Old 10-03-2005, 11:11 PM
Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Having experience towing a hard trailer at 6000 with a SCREW/4.6/3.55 gears over hilly road not real mountain road, I would, with you costing in mind, either upgrade to a 5.4 and 4.10 gears or upgrade your truck to 4.10 gears.
Install trans aux cooling if either does not have it.
In the first upgrade you should get the 4r100 trans with the upgrade and gears.
With your truck upgrade expect to wind the engine upward of 4000 + rpm at times.
Keep the oil changed every 5000 miles and use synthetic blend Mercon V in the trans.
With use like this, expect somewhat shorter life before problems begin to arise as thing do wear out faster as well as cost more fuel.
On another note, my son tends to pull at speeds over 60 mph often.
When I pull at speeds up to 55 and not pushing it, my trans temp gauge stays 'well' below my son's towing speed range out of overdrive, so there is a lesson to learn here.
Not to be in a hurry to get there 'all' the time.
Good luck.

Quick Reply: Upgrading Ford F150 for travel trailer