Towing & Hauling

Receiver and Harness

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 10:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Receiver and Harness

Ok, found an F150 Screw I really like however it's a really basic XLT...so basic it doesn't have a receiver and I don't think it has a wiring harness...still waiting on pics from the dealer. The dealer is telling me $400 to put on a reciever and wiring harness...I'm thinking WTF??? For $400 I could outfit a fleet with receivers and harnesses...am I way off or am I getting hosed? Aren't F150 prewired for a wiring harness? It seems it shouldn't be any more than plugging it in somewhere? Am I way off? I appreciate any feedback.

Old 11-05-2005, 12:12 AM
I think that the models without the tow package have a 4-pin plug under the bumper my friend's '05 XL didn't have the tow package and has a 4-pin plug. My '05 Supercrew XLT came with the factory tow package with the 4 & 7 pin plugs and the receiver hitch that is actually the bumper mount and trailer hitch all in one unit. According to the brochure, this tow package receiver hitch is supposed to be stronger since it mounts further on into the frame and in more location than aftermarket hitches, but I didn't buy the tow package for this particular hitch--all of the 4x4 Supercrews on the lot had the tow package and I wanted the limited-slip differential and the heavier duty transmission cooler for pulling my pontoon boat.

Old 11-05-2005, 01:33 AM
I have a Hidden Hitch on my 04. The part number is 82595 and it's a class IV receiver. You can order it from ETrailer.com for 146.62 and depending on where you are, shipping should only be about 25.00.

As far as wiring. It's my understanding that the new truck are prewired. Mine came with a 4 plug flat for trailer lights only. I just ordered a wiring harness from ETrailer. It just plugs in and you have a 7 pole connector. Part number for that is 18247. From what I've been told is Ford thought ahead and wired for trailer brakes and even a hot for power to charge a trailer battery or whatever. That set me back 50.00. The cool thing is that Ford even put a plug under the dash so you can buy a lead (if you don't get one with the truck) that will hook up a brake control. So no splicing into wires. That is a whole 10.00. Part number for that is 18260. I should have my new stuff next week and I'll post the details on if it is really prewired.

Old 11-07-2005, 11:53 PM
My 2001 was did not have a tow package on it but the previous owner had put a hitch on it. The plug in jobs from the trailer places would not convert it because from my research I found that if it didn't come with the towing package then you have to buy the entire harness from where it plugs into the harness on the drivers side frame rail. That piece you have to get from ford unless you have the pigtail up above the spair tire with the plug that you can get from the trailer shops. Mine didn't have it. All of the wires needed come to the other side of that plug on the frame rail. If you look at my gallery (see sig) I have pics of the harness and the two wires for the brakes and power supply. They are already conected up front to (Well I know the brakes are anyway i didn't use the power supply, already had a power wire run back there). All I had to do was buy the plug to attach the brake controler. The plug under the dash was already prewired as well.

Hope the info helps.

Old 11-08-2005, 10:07 PM
Up under the dash there is a plug to plug in a brake controler. Most new truck come with a wire harness to hook up to the controller and then plug direct into the harness. You can find them on Ebay for anywhere from $5 ot $10.
If you want to add trailer brakes, you need to wire in either a 6-way or 7-way plug in back by the reciever hitch.
You can tap into the wires for the 4 way plug and as for the electric brake wires they are run to the rear of the truck and can be hard wired in with little problem. Or you can purchase a plug in to the harness set up from most trailer hitch dealers.
A receiver hitch shouldn't run you any more than $150 plus installation should you not choose to do it yourself.

Quick Reply: Receiver and Harness