Towing & Hauling

Wt distr hitch - do I need it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 08:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wt distr hitch - do I need it?

I am getting conflicting words on weight distribution hitch. I am towing 3500 lbs camper trailer. Some recommend for WD, some don't. For instance, Ford website does not recommend WD less than 5000 lbs.

I also checked WD dealer sites. Rating goes like 6000 lbs/600 lbs and up. I can see from the way WD is set up why WD is not going to be effective for small downward pressure on the ball.

Question 1) Will I have a real gain from WD?

But I can see the advantage of sway control add-on to WD hitch even for my load.

Question 2) Can sway control be added to non-WD hitch?

Thanks.

Old 11-12-2005, 08:17 AM
Yeah, you could put sway on a non WD setup. As far as a WD hitch for that load, about the only thing I could see it really helping with is the trailer bucking on rough roads or if it's loaded down heavy in the front. If you get a lot of sag without it then you might consider it. A set up overload springs would help with that too.

Old 11-12-2005, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the advice. I will see how it goes with a standard hitch. If I add battries, LP tank, etc, total weight might go up a few hundred pounds easy, but still it will less than 5000. If I have a problem, I will ask you about spring setup. I have no idea what that means, and I may not be able to understand if it is a complicated setup. Thanks.

Old 11-12-2005, 08:14 PM
It's not very complicated, but I'm not an expert on it either. There's different things you can do and different costs depending on how you do it. I've never done it myself, but others here have.

How long is your trailer btw?

Old 11-12-2005, 09:35 PM
I tow my 5000# stang and trailer with the factory hitch with no problems. I wouldn't need a WD hitch. I can adjust the tongue weight by moving the car on the trailer though.

Old 11-14-2005, 11:06 PM
Originally Posted by ViperGrendal
Yeah, you could put sway on a non WD setup. As far as a WD hitch for that load, about the only thing I could see it really helping with is the trailer bucking on rough roads or if it's loaded down heavy in the front. If you get a lot of sag without it then you might consider it. A set up overload springs would help with that too.

Helper springs is another common term for the overload springs vipergrendal mentioned. Most are an easy install. I installed some on an old chevy years back as the back end sank considerably when towing my boat. If I rememer correctly it took about 35 minutes for me to install. Most of that time was getting the pieces together and reading the directions. Here's a link to Hellwig's website:

http://www.hellwigproducts.com/helpersprings/heavy.html

However I towed a boat & trailer for several years with my 98 4x4 f150 no problem. It did have the trailer tow package and that may have helped as I think the rear leaf springs are a little beefier with a 4x4 and tow package - no real data to back that up, just seems stronger.

Old 11-14-2005, 11:15 PM
Thanks. I have yet to connect the pickup to the trailer, which I don't have yet. I will find out soon if I will need helper springs. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Wt distr hitch - do I need it?