Towing & Hauling

I am about to attach an aux tranny cooler and

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 03:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am about to attach an aux tranny cooler and

I have a few questions before I start.
97 F150, 4.2L V6, 3.55 axle, auto, no tow package

1) I learned from this forum that the lower line is the return line, and I have to "insert" aux cooler in this line. Disconnecting radiator/return line is no problem. But how do I connect?

The package I bought at AutoZone has a stubby connector that goes to the radiator. The other end of the tubing is flared. So I will have to cut it out. Othersie rubber hose wouldn't go in.

How do I connect a rubber hose to the smooth piece of tubing? Ss there a tool that makes a smooth piece of tubing bulged out for hose clamp connection?

2) The stubby connector is made of thin gauge aluminum, and the OEM tubing is steel. I don't quite feel comfortable to replace hard tubing with a thin aluminum tubing. The cooler cost me $31. Is this on the cheap side?

I read several threads but the posts do not quite go into details. For instance, after disconnecting the return line at the radiator, how do you connect it to aux cooler? What kind of tubing do you use? Can I bend the tubing like 45 degrees. The tubing goes right above steering mechanism. How do you keep the tubing clear of it?

Many thanks for help.

Old 11-13-2005, 07:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You might post a link to this over in the tranny forum also. The one I installed didn't require messing with the metal tubing so I can't help you on that. I "think" there's a tool that will flare the end of the tubing so you can secure the rubber tubing to it with clamps. There's been reference to it I believe in the tranny forum.

The kit I installed came with brass fitting that were "ribbed" on one end to slide up into the 3/8" rubber tubing that's in the lines between the radiator and tranny. I won't confuse you with the details since you're gonna have to do it a little differently I sounds.

Just make sure when you have it all together you check for leaks and keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't start leaking. I had some issues with that, but I think I'm more cursed than anything.

Quick Reply: I am about to attach an aux tranny cooler and